Post Likes

Tracer Summit Question – Fan setting when idle ?

Does anyone know the Tracer Summit setting for controlling the fan on an RTU when the unit is idle? I have a Trane Voyager RTU that does not run the fan when idle. Every other RTU at this facility runs the fan when idle.

This facility has about 20 Trane Voyager RTUs. Four RTUs were having trouble with space temp sensors and/or Tracer Summit communication and were running without the communications board powered. They had a thermostat in the return duct connected to the RTRM conventional thermostat interface as a work around. They worked fine like this. It’s time to re-connect them to the Tracer Summit.

The remaining 16 or so RTUs are connected to Tracer Summit and have either a zone sensor module in the space or a zone temperature sensor (thermistor) in the return duct. All of these RTUs run the fan continuously.

Today I was sent to the location with instructions to replace the RTRM board in each of the four RTUs and also to wire a zone temperature sensor to pins 1-2 of the RTRM board and to place that temp sensor in the return duct. I also powered up the communications board and obviously removed all wiring from the conventional thermostat interface pins on the RTRM board.

That plan worked pretty much perfectly. All four RTUs can communicate with Tracer Summit. All four RTUs report a space temperature of about 71 degrees.

3 out of four RTUs run the fan continuously and report that the economizer is 10% open. Everything looks good. Tracer Summit seems to be able to place the units into heat mode when you change the set point.

I have a single RTU that does not run the fan when idle. It reports the space temperature properly. It simply shows the fan status as "off" instead of "on high." The fan works. It will run the fan when the unit is placed in heat mode. It also shows the fan status as "on high" when running in heat mode. Once the space temp reaches the set point – the fan goes off. The settings look the same to me for all four RTUs. I don’t understand why is this one RTU is not running the fan when idle.

I looked at all the Tracer Summit settings for the RTU (right click when at the RTU page on Tracer Summit). I don’t see any settings that pertain to the state of the fan when idle. I see you can set the fan speed for both heat mode and cool mode. I’m wondering where the setting is for the fan operation during idle.

Any help would be appreciated. It does not look like there is anything wrong with the RTU. It will run the fan continuously if you run the RTRM off the conventional thermostat interface. I’m hoping this is just a software setting.

Post Likes
    The building is always occupied and therefore the status is always "occupied." So this is not an issue where the Tracer Summit thinks the building or zone is unoccupied.

Post Likes
    I spoke to tech support. All the settings are fine. The Tracer Summit is either in heat mode or cool mode. There is no idle. The fan settings for heat mode and cool mode were set to continuous. The package unit tests fine. So right now there is no explanation for this behavior. So there is nothing I can do to fix this. A Tozour-Trane tech is coming to check it out and figure out what is wrong because the fan should be running. So we will see what they come up with.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_G View Post
    I spoke to tech support. All the settings are fine. The Tracer Summit is either in heat mode or cool mode. There is no idle. The fan settings for heat mode and cool mode were set to continuous. The package unit tests fine. So right now there is no explanation for this behavior. So there is nothing I can do to fix this. A Tozour-Trane tech is coming to check it out and figure out what is wrong because the fan should be running. So we will see what they come up with.
    Thank You for getting back with that! Now I'm really curious what's wrong!

Post Likes
    if the blower motor is controlled by a VFD there has to be a minimum setting programmed in,pretty sure its 25 hz and a short ramp up time 10 to 15 seconds to close the fan proving switch,,the fan should go to this minimum when no call is present and ramp up to your cooling/heating speed about 45 hz..these settings provide proper air flow with no return calls about improper static in sytem..hope this helps

Post Likes
    That's a good thought. No VFD, don't see many of those on the RTUs we service. This is a basic Voyager with a single speed PSC belt driven motor.

7am Monday I'll be there with Tozour to take a look. This is a strange problem. Maybe they will just reload the Summit-Tracer program on the PC and duck the whole problem (but if that fixes it, I'm good with that).

Post Likes
    Go in summit and find the rtu. Right click and go into advanced settings.

Or goto mp580 or UCM and pick the RTU. you will see the option for constant fan somewhere in there.

Cant remember how to get there unless i have summit open infront of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Well, things did not go exactly as planned. The Tozour tech showed up today. He was also able to get his hands on a document that explains that one of the hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of hidden super-secret proprietary system parameters should be updated to all zeros in this circumstance. So this in theory could be a known issue. The only way to know would be to perform this update.

We were not able to update the parameter value. He did not have the tool that could write to this system parameter. We were able to read it and confirm it is set to all 1s (FFFF). So…. I was expecting this to be the end of the road.

After checking a few other possible work arounds, we noticed the unit produced an error relating to the damper motor failing. This seems to be in response to changing some of the settings. Right after that we noticed that the fan was running and stayed running while the system was satisifed. We spent the remainder of the afternoon trying to understand how this could possibly be. Nobody is comfortable with this – since it make little sense.

So the take away is this. I/we don’t know what is wrong. I know the RTU is fine. The fan was set for constant operation in heat and cool. Every other RTU is set the same exact way and runs its fan all the time – not this one (until we go that damper error). I know the RTRM board is brand new. Tracer-Summit is/was having an issue. There is an update or patch that can be applied – but we would need a Tozour “systems” guy to come out and bring his super-double-secret tool to update this hidden parameter and that may or may not fix it. This may or may not be related to the dampers (economizer). It’s strange since you would not think damper operation would affect fan state when the system is satisfied. So in essence this could just be a system quirk with Tracer-Summit.

So … my current plan is to keep an eye on it. If the fan stays running I will eventually check that damper motor and most likely get that repaired. If it fails again, aside from the damper repair, I will try to get the right “systems” guy out there and get the parameter update applied.

Post Likes
    Do you have the app to access the Tracer systems?

Don't have a clue what 'Tozour' is. Is that a system, application, or local rep for Trane?

Just Googled it. So Tozour is a contractor, independent of Trane? Yes or no?

Because there is an app available to all to access the Tracer systems online. Just sayin'.

I'll see if I can remember what it is called. If you're the least bit interested.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Tosour-Trane are the contractors that have access to all of the proprietary information and tools needed to work on the controls side of Trane systems. The tech they sent did not have all the tools needed. Apparently there are different types of techs in the organization. We needed a more systems oriented guy.

Some of these tools may be available for purchase - but I doubt you will like the price. Others probably they would never sell nor will they provide you with the information since this is their proprietary stuff. I assume it's like Johnson Controls. You want to know about that stuff .... get a job with Johnson Controls.

This a strange problem/quirk with the Tracer-Summit software. I was hoping there were settings that I could access. That is not the case. There is nothing that anyone could do to solve this on their own. There is no tool you could possibly download on your own to that would help you in any way

The first Tozour-Trane tech could not even solve the issue. This issue is most likely due to a programming issue with a specific hidden system parameter that is not visible or editable via the Tracer-Summit software. It's buried deep in there and you need the manufacturer's proprietary tool to get to that level of programming to fix this.

Post Likes
    There are no secrets inside of tracer summit. There is however custom CPL programming. Someone could have written some code.

However, CPL is like "Basic" programming language. If, then, that language.

Read a book on basic and you could write code.

Go click on every menu in summit. You will eventually find what you need

Post Likes
    There may me a mp580 tied to the rooftop. In this instance, you would need Rover to edit most settings inside of it. But, there are some things you can do in summit with the 580