Post Likes

Floating Suction???

Hi guys, recently i have been reading some thread about "floating suction and discharge", I am familiar with floating discharge using variable speed or fan cycling, but I am quite confused with that floating suction. I know that TXV controls superheat and by that suction pressure is affected. How is that different with "floating suction"?

TIA

Post Likes
    Floating suction is used on rack systems. The coldest circuit temp is used to float the suction pressure setpoint to maintain the temperature in the circuit. For example, the ice cream freezer would be used to float the suction pressure on a low temp rack. Let’s say the circuit uses an electronic evaporator pressure regulator EEPR and you want to maintain -10° return air temp in the box. You would set the circuit EEPR setpoint to say -15°, and then set up the floating suction pressure to automatically adjust the suction pressure setpoint to maintain-10°.

Post Likes
    Here is a link to a picture from one of the customers that I service which is a graph showing how the suction setpoint varies depending on the temperature of the circuit it is monitoring. The blue line is what the hard setpoint is and the green line is the floating setpoint.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjqfQ9vWSBW27BQ5...OW6dn?e=r9L0N3

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply, it helps, but can you send a schematic diagram for rack system with floating circuit if possible? Im kinda confused with that of float circuit and how it is connected.

Thanks for the help, really, much appreciated!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMBee View Post
    Here is a link to a picture from one of the customers that I service which is a graph showing how the suction setpoint varies depending on the temperature of the circuit it is monitoring. The blue line is what the hard setpoint is and the green line is the floating setpoint.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjqfQ9vWSBW27BQ5...OW6dn?e=r9L0N3
    Nice graph. You can see at night when the load is lower the suction pressure is allowed to float higher.