Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 66 to 78 of 79
  1. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14,467
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special-K View Post
    Wasn't as big a deal as people made it out to be. Wifey liked it (which means K liked it )


    Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk
    ...

  2. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,837
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    Filthy flying rats. I just can't understand people that will protect this invasive non-endangered species that presents health problems above the well being of humans. The common street pigeon population needs to be controlled.

    I think it likely that these street pigeons vote Democrat, thus are protected.
    I have no respect for an animal that can fly anywhere and still chooses to live in the hood.

  3. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14,467
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    I have no respect for an animal that can fly anywhere and still chooses to live in the hood.
    When I lived in Longbeach California they were thick..If someone tossed anything out of a window in a parking lot..20 pigeons would arrive instantly...Some people fed them and may be a couple hundred right in front of them.
    They pooped on everything and were everywhere..have a nice car?..better wash that Doo Doo off everyday as it would get random hits no matter where you were... School equipment had the Doo Doo on it...outdoor benches.. spots of Doo Doo everywhere.
    Here we have em but it seems like it mainly old industrial buildings that have the problem..and it's not that many places that have a problem..I haven't seen one in weeks.
    In some cities you can get rich here(city pays you) shooting them if you are qualified to shoot in the city limits(can't miss on the test or you are done(chest shots)..25 bucks and up per pigeon...you can make hundreds of dollars an hour in the right spots.
    22 silent rounds is what they usually use and do it at night.
    But get this it's illegal to kill any snake in Missouri.
    But you can cap pigeons as a home owner or cap em for fun outside of city limits.
    The pigeon is considered non Native and therefore not protected.




    Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk
    ...

  4. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    23,281
    Post Likes
    Need more hawks, owls, bluejays, and stray cats.
    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

  5. #70
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,745
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special-K View Post
    Corny is right in his assessment, but the fix is not as clear.

    We are big on free speech here, at least as much as we can be on an advertiser supported forum. The ARPC tries to stay out of our member's way and let you guys have open and free discussion.

    The presumption here is that you are all adults and we should treat you as such.

    The problem with that is that many of you don't act like it. Most of the offenses described above is when members result to juvenile insults and teenage girl drama.


    So I guess the real question here is: Do you want us to continue and try to treat you as adults, or get out the paddles and start bringing you to the principle's office? Rumor has it that NewOld has a paddle with holes in it, and it hurts bad!
    After deliberating on this issue, I found myself asking the question, "Why are the rules not enforced equally in all open forums?"

    What would be the result, or benefit, of me creatively calling someone an idiot when debating Dewalt vs Milwaukee? Or how bout, a commie if they buy a Mitsubishi AC rather than a Trane?

    Yet, this is exactly what happens over and over and over and over again in ARP. Hi Hyde, what happened to Jekyll?

    The typical defense, "It would be boring around here if we enforced the rules?" Boring for who? You'll lose some Dilp's and Skills, but maybe pick up some Scrog's, Gary's and BNM's for replacement. Who knows, maybe even a woman or two!!

    Recently there has been an uproar for due process, rule of law, accountability and transparency. Ok, great. Give the people what they asked for.

  6. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    8,980
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the compliment Lahrs. But don't fall in to the same human trap as I have recently been discussing. It is easy to let anger overtake us, as much as I might sound like I'm trying to be some mystical swami by the saying.

    I would much rather that the Lahrs', the BNM's, and the Gary's also remember the Vin's, the Tool's, and the Brian83's that, at least sometimes, espouse a moderate view. We will not change views by censorship.

    Even so, say we did. What brings these newcomers in without fear? A PR campaign on the General forum? ARP reputation is well established.

    It is what it is. So... we are the minority, so what? Be respectful and 'on point' with your facts. Who can argue that?
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." ― Bertrand Russell

  7. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,837
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    After deliberating on this issue, I found myself asking the question, "Why are the rules not enforced equally in all open forums?"

    What would be the result, or benefit, of me creatively calling someone an idiot when debating Dewalt vs Milwaukee? Or how bout, a commie if they buy a Mitsubishi AC rather than a Trane?

    Yet, this is exactly what happens over and over and over and over again in ARP. Hi Hyde, what happened to Jekyll?

    The typical defense, "It would be boring around here if we enforced the rules?" Boring for who? You'll lose some Dilp's and Skills, but maybe pick up some Scrog's, Gary's and BNM's for replacement. Who knows, maybe even a woman or two!!

    Recently there has been an uproar for due process, rule of law, accountability and transparency. Ok, great. Give the people what they asked for.
    Wait..... What?

    You mean if I become civil, women may show up?

    I think I'll change my ways.

  8. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    8,980
    Post Likes
    We've had some women posters in our history; none have remained.

    They must have been... neutrals. Or dare I say it... commies! <gasp>

    I'm sure Glenn will be flying in with his Superman suit any minute!
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." ― Bertrand Russell

  9. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,440
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    After deliberating on this issue, I found myself asking the question, "Why are the rules not enforced equally in all open forums?"

    What would be the result, or benefit, of me creatively calling someone an idiot when debating Dewalt vs Milwaukee? Or how bout, a commie if they buy a Mitsubishi AC rather than a Trane?
    I think it largely depends on the "tone" you use and the over-all intent of harm

    For instance .... If you jokingly say " what are you retarded ? " thats going to get a chuckle

    If however you say " man your a effin retard " .... the room will get quiet and all stare at each other waiting on the fight to begin

    See the difference ?

    Until it comes to Corny ..... you can say whatever the hell you want to Corny and nobody cares .... because when his AC breaks down hes gonna be pleading for someone here to fix it ....

  10. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    9,619
    Post Likes
    People are who they are, we are all different. It is these differences that define us but also bring color to our world. If we were a ll the same this would be a pretty dim place.

    There are times when certain words can be used to punctuate a point, making it stand out and the statement a little bolder. however the overuse of these types of words can also create a cloud that buries that same point. Years ago I was in a seminar, I was still in trade school so my thought process was a bit different and normally didn't think twice about a dropped F-bomb but it was not a constant drop either. The instructor of this class had an F-bomb in every sentence. He used it so much I don't think he even realized how he sounded. F this, F that, F here, F there, F no, F yes, pretty soon it just became a drone and no one picked up anything from the presentation.

    If we use a word or phrase to punctuate a point, fine, no problem, but if it is used every paragraph, every post, it looses meaning and hides the point. Nothing is gained as it no longer stands out. The WOW factor is gone.

    One final point, I can't say as I have seen where anyone's mind has been changed in any of the discussions over the years I have been on this forum. I can say I have seen tones soften and harden by the attitude of a poster. I always figure it will be hard to sway someones opinion and even harder if you make a derogatory remark towards them. That doesn't mean I am not just as guilty as the next guy, but it is always in the back of my mind when I post. I come here for the knowledge, opinions, and back and forth of the conversation, some seem to come here for the sport of riling others. I think many of those have been weeded out, but new ones always come along. Remember when one gets upset it is easier to get banned than it is to walk away for a while.

    My 2 cents.

  11. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    20,705
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I think it largely depends on the "tone" you use and the over-all intent of harm

    For instance .... If you jokingly say " what are you retarded ? " thats going to get a chuckle

    If however you say " man your a effin retard " .... the room will get quiet and all stare at each other waiting on the fight to begin

    See the difference ?

    Until it comes to Corny ..... you can say whatever the hell you want to Corny and nobody cares .... because when his AC breaks down hes gonna be pleading for someone here to fix it ....
    Why would I need help telling me that my system is beyond repair and that I need a new one ?

    I am also perfectly capable of telling myself...

    No sir, I do not make a handsome commission off your purchase of a new system.

  12. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    1,000 miles from nowhere
    Posts
    15,174
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    People are who they are, we are all different. It is these differences that define us but also bring color to our world. If we were a ll the same this would be a pretty dim place.

    There are times when certain words can be used to punctuate a point, making it stand out and the statement a little bolder. however the overuse of these types of words can also create a cloud that buries that same point. Years ago I was in a seminar, I was still in trade school so my thought process was a bit different and normally didn't think twice about a dropped F-bomb but it was not a constant drop either. The instructor of this class had an F-bomb in every sentence. He used it so much I don't think he even realized how he sounded. F this, F that, F here, F there, F no, F yes, pretty soon it just became a drone and no one picked up anything from the presentation.

    If we use a word or phrase to punctuate a point, fine, no problem, but if it is used every paragraph, every post, it looses meaning and hides the point. Nothing is gained as it no longer stands out. The WOW factor is gone.

    One final point, I can't say as I have seen where anyone's mind has been changed in any of the discussions over the years I have been on this forum. I can say I have seen tones soften and harden by the attitude of a poster. I always figure it will be hard to sway someones opinion and even harder if you make a derogatory remark towards them. That doesn't mean I am not just as guilty as the next guy, but it is always in the back of my mind when I post. I come here for the knowledge, opinions, and back and forth of the conversation, some seem to come here for the sport of riling others. I think many of those have been weeded out, but new ones always come along. Remember when one gets upset it is easier to get banned than it is to walk away for a while.

    My 2 cents.
    I strongly disagree on that point. A forum doesn't expose the event very well but happens very often. Reason:

    A major shift in opinion is simply not a time to reply and reveal the event. It's a time for introspection, reflection, or politely shut your mouth up and just listen to what the other folks have to say.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    “They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

    "I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

    "This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

  13. #78
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    6,562
    Post Likes
    I think there are a lot of lurkers who click on interesting-looking links they
    would not have discovered on their own. These are often the very things
    that open their eyes.

    A persuasive argument can be interesting, but a persuasive argument
    backed up by facts can lead to a more realistic view of the world.

    You won't see evidence of this in the people who argue against your
    position, because they are not there to learn anything. They are there
    to tell you about their version of reality.

    The place to look for evidence of your success is in the number of views
    per post -- not so much in the number of replies.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •