+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My First Ever Install

Post Likes

My First Ever Install

I did my first ever install of any kind on my own over the weekend. Myself and a couple of friends in the trade installed a nice new Weil McLain WGO-5 to replace a mammoth that was installed in the 1950’s.
    It was actually the first install for all three of us.
    Myself and one of the other guys have been service techs in the hvacr field for almost four years and the other even though he only has about a year and a half under his belt is a hard worker and has lots of potential.
    It was very sketchy getting the 760# beast into the basement of the 200 year old building. Very narrow stairwell with the oil tank right at the bottom. Took us a solid 20 minutes to come up with a plan we all agreed on. We ended up stripping the jacket and burner door off, tipping the boiler on its back, tying a rope to the boiler and wrapping that rope two times around a 4” drain pipe at the top of the stairs. One guy stayed up top to slowly lower the rope while myself and the other guy helped guide and lower the boiler down the steps.
    It was a great learning experience for all three of us as there were quite a few things we forgot to put on our initial order with the supplier.
    It was also a great confidence boost for all of us. For it being our first install out on our own, we’re pretty proud of the final product.

Now if I could only figure out how to add photos...

Post Likes
    I’m pretty sure you need to get your post count up to post pics. But I’d like to see this thing when you eventually are able to post pics

Post Likes
    How did you size it’s?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    I’m not liking how you got the boiler into the basement.
    Was a powered stair dolly not available? Or other mechanical means of lowering it.
    Were you below the boiler guiding it?
    As someone that’s gotten hurt on the job, I can tell you it’s not worth it.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Was a powered stair dolly not available? Or other mechanical means of lowering it.
    Usually the stairs collapse and yank the guy(s) holding the rope on top of the boiler.
    Step One is always shoring up the steps.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Based on square footage and working with supplier.

Post Likes
    You are correct. I just read that I needed to have 7 posts before I can add photos

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Power dolly was not available. The rope wrapped twice around the 4” pipe with rough surface was our mechanical means. Double wrap and the rough surface acted as a sort of restrictive pulley. And yes, myself and one other guy were below guiding, as I started in my original post, while the third had the rope in hand. We are all in our early thirties and in good physical condition. This was indeed the safest option for the situation.

Post Likes
    Your lucky the anchors in the supports for the 4 inch pipe were up to the task...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    “ I did my first ever install of any kind on my own over the weekend. Myself and a couple of friends in the trade installed a nice new Weil McLain WGO-5 to replace a mammoth that was installed in the 1950’s.
    It was actually the first install for all three of us.”

Your Bio says Technician/Installer, not licensed Insured Contractor, Sounds like a side job? If so, guessing you do not carry insurance, and working on combustion could be dangerous, and be liable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    “ I did my first ever install of any kind on my own over the weekend. Myself and a couple of friends in the trade installed a nice new Weil McLain WGO-5 to replace a mammoth that was installed in the 1950’s.
    It was actually the first install for all three of us.”

Your Bio says Technician/Installer, not licensed Insured Contractor, Sounds like a side job? If so, guessing you do not carry insurance, and working on combustion could be dangerous, and be liable.
    That bio was created 5 years ago when I joined this site. And until yesterday, I haven’t posted since I joined. I can’t figure out how change bio.
    It was a side job but I do carry liability insurance and do have all necessary licenses to do the work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in