Post Likes

help choosing a right VFD for my panasonic compressor

Hi mu name is Charles Peterson. I have a Chinese chiller that came with a 1 phase to 3 phase VFD, but the capacity is not the correct one . I had it connected to a standby generator and it work flawlessly. The nominal amp shown was 17 amp. If I use a rule of thumb that the start up rush current the compressor pull can be 3 times nominal I come with 51 amps. My vfd output is 32.

I have a company suggest a Mitsubishi VFD but since we are talking big $$ I wanted second or third opinion. I am even looking for soft starts.

The compressor is a Panasonic c-sbp140h36a 60hz 208-230 3 phase
    RLA 21.6A LRA 134A

I am desperate on get this chiller working so I can increase my brewery capacity.

Thanks
    Charles

Post Likes
    Your math is wrong, it can and does draw a lot more on start up. 134LRA at the least.

With the damage that can be done I wouldn’t be taking advice from the Internet.
    Contact the equipment manufacture and ask what they would spec.

Post Likes
    I am trying to get help from Panasonic. Because want to make sure the numbers.

Post Likes
    I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but wouldn't a VFD make the compressor draw less amps at start up?

I'm basing this thought on a slow ramp up from 0 to 60hz. Or don't compressors work this way?

Or are we counting on the fact that the VFD is just for making 3 phase and will be trying to start at 60hz with no ramping up or down?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but wouldn't a VFD make the compressor draw less amps at start up?

I'm basing this thought on a slow ramp up from 0 to 60hz. Or don't compressors work this way?

Or are we counting on the fact that the VFD is just for making 3 phase and will be trying to start at 60hz with no ramping up or down?
    Speed drives can be used on compressors and act like a soft start. You will not draw LRA + on start up but care must be takin in how long it takes to ramp up. That information is only available from the manufacture. MOST do not want soft starts or speed drives on there equipment!