Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes

    407C on top of R-22

    One of the fellas at the parts house was trying to convince me that 407C on top of R-22 was a good idea. We've been recovering all the 22, making necessary repairs and then replacing with 407. Has anyone heard of people putting 407 on top of 22? ...on that note I was getting some odd fluctuating pressure readings on a unit but the line temps remained the close to the same. Oh, and the system was cooling.... Anyone have any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    20
    Post Likes
    Illegal


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    99
    Post Likes
    Never mix refrigerants per the epa guidelines. If you ever want to return that mix of refrigerant (407c and 22) you will have to pay to get it incinerated too..

  4. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,205
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe The Frog View Post
    One of the fellas at the parts house was trying to convince me that 407C on top of R-22 was a good idea. We've been recovering all the 22, making necessary repairs and then replacing with 407. Has anyone heard of people putting 407 on top of 22? ...on that note I was getting some odd fluctuating pressure readings on a unit but the line temps remained the close to the same. Oh, and the system was cooling.... Anyone have any thoughts?
    Make the parent company aware what this fool is stating!

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    DFW, TX.
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Likes
    Seen it done. Bad idea and as stated illegal. Itll cool until it gets into the 90s out. Then youll be chasing ghost.

    Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    19,279
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe The Frog View Post
    One of the fellas at the parts house was trying to convince me that 407C on top of R-22 was a good idea. We've been recovering all the 22, making necessary repairs and then replacing with 407. Has anyone heard of people putting 407 on top of 22? ...on that note I was getting some odd fluctuating pressure readings on a unit but the line temps remained the close to the same. Oh, and the system was cooling.... Anyone have any thoughts?
    " One of the fellas at the parts house "
    So the counter guy or a customer ?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Kansas Flatlands
    Posts
    438
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Make the parent company aware what this fool is stating!
    Best way to handle it pecmsg, let their superior know

    Every time I hear someone talk about topping off a system with something else to "get em by for now" I just want to kick em in the crotch. Alot of refrigerant will have to be destroyed in the near future. You got em by today, but someone else will likely pay for your BS later.

  9. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,205
    Post Likes
    Been there done that during the R-12 phase out.
    Same BS different decade!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    " One of the fellas at the parts house "
    So the counter guy or a customer ?
    One of the counter guys. Believe it or not. He's been there for almost thirty years.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by CEAS-AC-TECH View Post
    Seen it done. Bad idea and as stated illegal. Itll cool until it gets into the 90s out. Then youll be chasing ghost.

    Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
    The company that was out before us did this...(How do I know?) my tech and the other tech know each other... And yup...it was just around 90 degrees, which must be why it "appeared" to be "working"..... Anyway, to make a long story short...we never drop in refrigerants....Or else they better not. Let's put it that way.

  13. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
  14. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    44,180
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe The Frog View Post
    One of the fellas at the parts house was trying to convince me that 407C on top of R-22 was a good idea. We've been recovering all the 22, making necessary repairs and then replacing with 407. Has anyone heard of people putting 407 on top of 22? ...on that note I was getting some odd fluctuating pressure readings on a unit but the line temps remained the close to the same. Oh, and the system was cooling.... Anyone have any thoughts?
    While the performance profile of 22 and 407C are very close together (the latter has a glide, the former does not)...
    Mixing juices is NOT a good idea... not to mention it is illegal.

    Hey Pepe... are you in the HVAC/R business???

    If so... you have enough posts...
    Apply for PRO status...
    You will like what is behind the PRO door!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  15. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe The Frog View Post
    One of the counter guys. Believe it or not. He's been there for almost thirty years.
    that's why he is on the counter. selling shit

  17. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
  18. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    46
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    While the performance profile of 22 and 407C are very close together (the latter has a glide, the former does not)...
    Mixing juices is NOT a good idea... not to mention it is illegal.

    Hey Pepe... are you in the HVAC/R business???

    If so... you have enough posts...
    Apply for PRO status...
    You will like what is behind the PRO door!
    Yes. I am in the business. Thank you for the tip. I will look into applying for PRO status. T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR