Post Likes

Should hvac installers be pulling permits to make sure their new system complies?

Should hvac installers be pulling permits to make sure their new system complies?

Post Likes
    Yes, but exactly what they need is subject to your local code.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

3. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by azhvacsys View Post
    Permits are worthless
    The inspectors know less then alleged techs.

5. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by azhvacsys View Post
    If its required in your municipality they should.

2 counties over from me there isnt an inspector in the county, so there is no permit requirements.

Post Likes
    We are supposed to pull permits for newly installed equipment. But hardly anyone does.

Not permit is required when replacing existing equipment.

But it depends on the local code.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

8. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I don't have any problems pulling permits when required. In my locality, retrofit AC's and Heat Pump systems do not require a permit, unless they are being relocated. Fossil fuel appliances need permits even if they are retrofit. They are subject to filling out several forms including mechanical and flue certification.

HERE'S THE BIG ISSUE! The inspectors won't offer a time, you just pick a day. So, the homeowner must wait around from 9am to 5pm for the inspector. Oh yeah, if the installation is in the attic, there must be a stable ladder set up for them, because they will not set up their own. Some homeowners may say, well, the contractor should wait around. Well, that's a full days labor you're going to pay for that. If you think our time is free, it isn't...

The inspections have become ridiculous. There's no accountability upon the inspector to ensure the job is installed correctly. They do not touch, nor operate the equipment. It's simply a visual inspection. Not to mention, some inspectors don't read the codes properly, and decide they can nit pick what they think is correct. Can we object, sure, but it's going to be a long drawn out hassle, and we just need to complete the job. Don't fool yourself in to believing that the inspectors are some elite mechanics, they are average pay gov't workers. Some are cool, some have a chip on their shoulder.

I used to be all on board with inspections, but lately I've come to realize it's simply another form of gov't revenue, nothing more...
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

11. Likes Juan Madera liked this post
    Post Likes
    Southold Town recently required permits for A/C work. All it is is a Tax. The inspector looks at the outdoor unit and thats it.