Post Likes

High VOCs inside home

I have been trying to get some assistance on high VOCs. My house has been experiencing fluctuating high VOCs that go over 2000ppb. We first thought it had to do with some leak and turned the gas, but that was not it. We then turned off the HVAC, but that was not it. We tested for mold, but that was not it. I have turned of the gas to the furnace, stove, and water heater. We are clueless as to what is causing these fluctuating high VOCs everyday in the house and some suggestions as to how to identify the cause would be helpful. I have recalibrated the air monitors which are Foobot and Whiting. Measurements are same with three different unconnected monitors in different rooms.

Post Likes
    Do you have any room air cleaners running during thes high level readings.

The epa have found some pco and reactive ion air cleaners can cause higher levels of certain vocs.

Is this a new or old home, have you had a blower door infiltration test performed to see if your home is too sealed or not sealed well enough?
    If it is too sealed, you may need fresh air ventilation.

Post Likes
    Make sure all of your drain traps are filled with water. Sewer gasses can seep in if one of your drains are dry. Hidden floor drains under a washing machine come to mind.

We had this problem once. Looked all over the house for two months until finally, I found the source. 9 weeks prior, I gave my teenage son a Rubbermaid container full of fresh venison to bring downstairs and put in the freezer. Being a teenager, and not so good at listening, he decided to put the container in our storage room instead. It ripened nicely for 9 weeks!
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    Are "VOCs" high when the home is unoccupied?
    Some of the new monitors are "broad specterm" may include CO2.
    A properly ventilation home should be <1,500 with <4 occupants.
    What type of fresh air ventilation system you have?
    Wind, operation of exhaust device like bath fans, kitchen hood, and clothes drier also get adequate air change.
    Homes should have a fresh air change during every 4 hours when occupied. Most well built homes that depend on natural ventilation will have high VOCs during calm winds, mild temperatures, and closed windows. Most build codes suggest small mechanical make-up fresh, filtered air to provide dependable air change when occupied. But most just live with it. Remember what does not kill will make you stronger. cold winter winds and the stack effect will make things better.
    For me, in green grass climate a small whole house dehumidifier with the fresh filtered air vent option is ideal, like the Ultra-Aire 70H.
    Keep us posted on how the levels decline during cold windy weather.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    How new is the house? How large? How many people inside? Pets?
    VOC can mean nearly anything, so tracking it down can be a chore. You have eliminated some big ones, but breathing and cooking cause a lot.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit