Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Nest was completely removed during the occurrence of the fan fault this morning while diagnosing with my Tech on the phone. No NEST ( no thermostat) and fan ran with no AC Compressor running.

I can only speak to my singular experience over 7 years with Nest, it was the best money I ever spent on a thermostat. I never had any issue worth noting and used the app all the time. BTW, I researched the Honeywell WIFI enabled thermostats thinking to switch. But with far fewer reviews , they seem to be proportionally more negative. Honeywell is huge in engineering systems and thermostats- but I do not believe they are so big on residential WiFi enabled thermostats. I would /will switch to a Honeywell if I ever actually determined an issue with my Nest.

Basically, I don't care except to solve the issue I have with the fan. Tomorrow the frayed outside 24v wires will be replaced . So far, with my interim electrical tape fix my system is operating normally with no faults. My Tech will check the manner in which my system was wired to determine / confirm whether the fault could have been associated to the frayed 24 v wires, or simply coincidental.

The consistent factor is when it rains, and the exposed wires get wet, my system acts up - lending some logic to the severely frayed outside wires shorting. Just have to see , but meanwhile my wires need to be replaced. Remember the old saying, something like " there is no such thing as a coincidence " ( which I don't entirely believe, LOL).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NatB View Post
    Nest was completely removed during the occurrence of the fan fault this morning while diagnosing with my Tech on the phone. No NEST ( no thermostat) and fan ran with no AC Compressor running.

I can only speak to my singular experience over 7 years with Nest, it was the best money I ever spent on a thermostat. I never had any issue worth noting and used the app all the time. BTW, I researched the Honeywell WIFI enabled thermostats thinking to switch. But with far fewer reviews , they seem to be proportionally more negative. Honeywell is huge in engineering systems and thermostats- but I do not believe they are so big on residential WiFi enabled thermostats. I would /will switch to a Honeywell if I ever actually determined an issue with my Nest.

Basically, I don't care except to solve the issue I have with the fan. Tomorrow the frayed outside 24v wires will be replaced . So far, with my interim electrical tape fix my system is operating normally with no faults. My Tech will check the manner in which my system was wired to determine / confirm whether the fault could have been associated to the frayed 24 v wires, or simply coincidental.

The consistent factor is when it rains, and the exposed wires get wet, my system acts up - lending some logic to the severely frayed outside wires shorting. Just have to see , but meanwhile my wires need to be replaced. Remember the old saying, something like " there is no such thing as a coincidence " ( which I don't entirely believe, LOL).
    How, exactly?

Wires removed from the control board, wires removed from the NEST?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Nest unit pulled off its base during the fan fault occurrence; then all wires removed from the base of the Nest.

It will be interesting to see whether fixing the outside wires solves the problem. I need to experience a trend of no fan faults over a period of weeks, not a day or two.

Post Likes
    PROLOGUE:

I wanted to give it a few weeks to be sure the issue was fixed. I originally started this thread about my system fan turning on/off intermittently when the AC was off. I have a NEST thermostat , and a lot of you jumped all over the NEST as being the culprit.

The culprit was my neighbor's yardman and an overzealous weed eater wacking through the exterior thermostat cable exposing bare wire ( 8 wire cable). Once the cable was replaced ( lol at my neighbors expense), all my issues have been resolved.

As I mentioned , my technician who I respect and have used for over 4 years has nothing bad to say about NEST. I have had this thermostat for over 5 years and it has always worked flawlessly for me . I am always open to try better technology solutions , but after reading only so so reviews on Honeywell's WiFi offerings , I see no edge over NEST. GOOGLE owns NEST , and no way they would not continuously improve their technology. LOL, GOOGLE could buy Honeywell with its pocket change .

As always , YMMV but the track record I have with it is positive .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234