Post Likes

Confused High humidity issue in condo- Help

Hi, Iím having an issue with extremely high humidity in my condo in Delray Beach, FL. Nobody can figure out the cause. My unit is a 2.5 ton basic Rheem air handler and compressor on roof. The building is 5 stories and Iím on the 2nd floor. I am having mold growing on my shoes in my closet for the 2nd time. I also found some mold in the ceiling on what looks like a support column wall within a wall when I had my bathroom exhaust fans replaced. They did say it was dry and to keep it encapsulated and not to disturb it. But I need to know how to correct the humidity issue to prevent any further mold. My grandkids and myself have been experiencing allergy symptoms lately. No obvious leaks, Iíve had 3 ac companies come out, my ac services and coils cleaned and they also lowered the fan speed. Not helping. Iím running a dehumidifier and it helps but itís only good in one room and Iím not home to empty it when it gets full which doesnít help. Sorry, Iím not technically inclined and Iím a dummy in this area so please bear with me. I need help figuring this out and how to fix the issue. Supposedly, my neighbors arenít experiencing any humidity issues.

Post Likes
    How about start with temperature and %RH in space in the air coming from your a/c? All you have told us it that you have a serious mold problem and have had the a/c company out and slowed the a/c blower speed.
    Keep in mind that a 2.5 ton a/c running full time should remove +7 lbs. of moisture per hour. When the a/c is not running, no moisture will be removed. Infiltrating fresh air with a +70^F outdoor dew plus will grow mold.
    A good a/c tech should understand this and be able to explain it to you.
    During evenings and rainy days, you living space will be come damp enough to grow mold.
    You may need 50 lbs. of moisture to be removed per day. On hot day, a well setup a/c should be able to do this.
    On a rainy, mild day, you need to have supplemental dehumidification to maintain a mold/dust mite free space.
    Get the a/c working properly and add a small whole house dehumidifier to your a/c, like an ULtra-Aire 70H.
    This modification must done correctly.
    Keep us posted on the temp/%RH in the space and in the a/c supply. Avoid a/c blower "on" mode to optimize the moisture removal by the a/c during short cycling which may be most of the time.
    The last few years have had the kind of weather causes these type of problems.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    High Springs, FL
    TRANE Model: 4TWZ0024A1000AB MRF DATE 5/2009
    serial: 922PHS1F
    Trane Air Handler model: 4TEE3C03A1000A
    serial: 9243LTJ2V
    Installed 2009. Called twice this summer for high humidity, 60-74%. Our system was set for 50% humidity, on temp controller. All summer we have had two portable dehumidifiers running. Now have major mold blume in ducts and Air handler. We always have twice a year checks and just found out our April Air filter had not been changed in 2 years, even though we had always asked. They suggested new duct work. They came for a free visit and told us Air Handler was full of mold and need replacement. Do we have an recourse? now need duct work and new system. Our first Trane lasted 25 years......We expected better.. Thanks for any guidance. Homeowners.