Post Likes

Communicating thermostat vs non for modulating furnace?

Does anyone have a ball park estimate (or documentation/stats) about the cost savings of using fully communicating thermostat with a modulating furnace versus using a non-communicating thermostat on that same furnace? I understand that different manufacturers and specifics will come into play which is why I'm asking for a generalized answer.

Post Likes
    Savings will probably not change much assuming the Non-C stat will allow all stages of the furnace to run. It will be more of a comfort issue, the comm stat will allow full functionality of the unit the non Comm stat probably will not.

Why do I get the feeling you want to put on a Nest and the dealer is telling you no?

Post Likes
    Well here is the deal.... I was about to buy a new furnace that was a two stage and I found one that was a holdover which was the correct tonnage and BTU for a really really good deal, $600 less than the one I was going to buy, plus was modulating. I have Nest currently and just want to know if I spent the $400 to get the correct thermostat and Internet link if I would make that money back over a period of time.
    Of course the modulating should be more efficient than the two stage anyway, even without the correct thermostat but just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Savings will probably not change much assuming the Non-C stat will allow all stages of the furnace to run. It will be more of a comfort issue, the comm stat will allow full functionality of the unit the non Comm stat probably will not.

Why do I get the feeling you want to put on a Nest and the dealer is telling you no?

Post Likes
    NEST

S
    U
    C
    K
    S
    !!!

Post Likes
    The big question is if it will function with the Nest. Usually a Mod furnace needs the correct stat.

Post Likes
    Yes, I know everyone here hates Nest, I know it very well. The furnace is hooked up and runs really well, it doesn’t modulate all the time like it should because of the obvious Nest in the mix but it does have modulation on a profile during its cycle, something like starting at 30% working up to 100% dropping down to 50% etc. I know that if it modulates all the time, I will have a more comfortable house, but the savings are what I’m really interested in. Especially when it’s a $400 or more deal.

Post Likes
    Multi stages or modulation is not for more efficiency it’s for comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    NEST

S
    U
    C
    K
    S
    !!!
    X2!!!

Trash the NEST.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wsudu View Post
    Yes, I know everyone here hates Nest, I know it very well. The furnace is hooked up and runs really well, it doesn’t modulate all the time like it should because of the obvious Nest in the mix but it does have modulation on a profile during its cycle, something like starting at 30% working up to 100% dropping down to 50% etc. I know that if it modulates all the time, I will have a more comfortable house, but the savings are what I’m really interested in. Especially when it’s a $400 or more deal.
    The NEST is junk because it causes more issues with equipment, known or otherwise, than any benefits it provides. It is also a data collecting device.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    What data does it collect?

For whom does it collect the data?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    The NEST is . . . . also a data collecting device.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    0% savings using a communicating stat over a conventional thermostat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What data does it collect?

For whom does it collect the data?

PHM
    -------
    I'm told it has a camera and microphone, then the data is given to Playboy!

Post Likes
    What furnace? Most do not properly modulate without the communicating stat. Most won't modulate down on a regular stat (or irregular in the case of Nest). Trane starts about 1/2 way and increases as time passes, I think Lennox is similar. But as time passes, it should go down not up. Rheem's mod has 13 stages with the right stat, 3 with a standard stat. Rheem's Econet control is rather affordable compared to most and they've made modulating furnaces about twice as long as everyone else.