+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Career turning point

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenergrass View Post
    Its the first call last call. I'm okay with giving time up like 30-45 mins each way, but from what ive been told its not going to change. So if it won't change maybe ill just change!
    I wouldn't complain too much about 30 mins or so to start or end the day. It is what it is.

How often are you on call?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I wouldn't complain too much about 30 mins or so to start or end the day. It is what it is.

How often are you on call?
    About 1 week per month. I wouldnt complain of 30 minutes of drive time either...LOL

Post Likes
    Our travel incentive doesnt count toward our billable hours.

I try to schedule around my on call but its tough when it comes out every 3 or 4 months. And I also don't switch often. I learned in the field not to but its frustrating when you have a comittment made in advanced and have to cancel.

That may be my only option but due to location status companies are few and fsr between with the exception of an 1 1/2 hour drive to their shop.
    If your on call schedule comes out every 3-4 months that means that you have the ability to plan around it. The company is being considerate by doing it that far ahead. It would make sense to complain about it if it wasn't out far in advance.

Post Likes
    About 1 week per month. I wouldnt complain of 30 minutes of drive time either...LOL
    If you have 3-5 hours in travel in a day for your first and last calls I believe that can be compensated for partly as work time also. Unless you live that far from the office. I believe the time considered is "incidental" time on first and last calls is not paid for. That long is not "incidental." Again keep good records and make a phone call to FSLA.

When you are on call are you paid from the time you leave until you get back? Actually from the time you answer the phone until you get back.

Also realize if they reroute you on your way to the first call you get paid from THAT time. Also if you are asked to stop along the way like to stop to pick someone up etc.

Post Likes
    If you have 3-5 hours in travel in a day for your first and last calls I believe that can be compensated for partly as work time also. Unless you live that far from the office. I believe the time considered is "incidental" time on first and last calls is not paid for. That long is not "incidental." Again keep good records and make a phone call to FSLA.

When you are on call are you paid from the time you leave until you get back? Actually from the time you answer the phone until you get back.

Also realize if they reroute you on your way to the first call you get paid from THAT time. Also if you are asked to stop along the way like to stop to pick someone up etc.

All good to know! Thank you!

Post Likes
    Yeah, but that's not travel to your first call, or home from your last call; those times are negotiated between the employee and the employer. Preferably during the interview, before you are even employed.

Remember, we don't know where he lives, or why he can't relocate. Might be something as simple as taking care of his elderly parents.

"Travel That is All in the Day's Work: Time spent by an employee in travel as part of his/her principal activity, such as travel from job site to job site during the workday, is work time and must be counted as hours worked."

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...c-b80c8d02b253

I don't have the FSLA link handy but sure it is there. I assume you are talking about time between calls during the day and not necessarily your first and last. I believe there may be some limits on your first and last calls also.

Remember federal laws are a base and state laws cannot be less than that but can be stricter on the employer.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yeah, but that's not travel to your first call, or home from your last call; those times are negotiated between the employee and the employer. Preferably during the interview, before you are even employed.

Remember, we don't know where he lives, or why he can't relocate. Might be something as simple as taking care of his elderly parents.

Maybe if you read the whole post BB.

He wasn't clear what he was talking about and I was trying to get him to clarify.

Post Likes
    What on Earth are you talking about now? The second post in this thread was from me. And I've read every post since.

Please reference the post you are referring to that would clarify things. Jeez.

Maybe if you read the whole post BB.

He wasn't clear what he was talking about and I was trying to get him to clarify.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    What on Earth are you talking about now? The second post in this thread was from me. And I've read every post since.

Please reference the post you are referring to that would clarify things. Jeez.
    Read the whole post you quoted before BB. In it I addressed travel time during the normal work day plus his first and last calls from home and back home. I addressed both because they both could apply and he wasn't totally clear about what he was talking about. You only highlighted the part about jobsite to jobsite.

Post Likes
    So I left a job of 6 years due to lack of respect, leadership, belittlement by the manager, etc. I went to another company and its been a little over 6 months. I keep my head low, I don't gossip, I do my work which is basically what I did for the old company (service, maintenance and repair) and head home. Sounds lovely right? I can't seem to find anything good actually. I can't get answers from my coworkers on certain jobs, no one wants to cover/trade on call for me, when I ask ahead of time for certain weeks off of on call due to prior engagements it gets brushed aside, the drives are incredibly long and draining and result in 10-12 hours away with a small travel stipend along with truck and gas card. I just feel deflated and when I bring it up to my wife or best friend they have no answer for me. Honestly I don't have an answer for myself. I am thinking of switching companies, I'm a fairly good tech. Honesty is my game alomg with kindness repsect and valuable knowledge. Ive voiced concern to my superiors with no concrete answer and was basically told to move elsewhere if I wanted more personal time (ie it would be closer to our accounts) I just feel like compared to my last job I'm pissing away my time and I'm at work more times than I'm home and also only getting paid for 8 hours a day when 10-14 hour days are not uncommon.

Sorry for the sob story, END RANT.

I'm seeking the answer to the day old question, do I stick it out or try to find something else? Relocation is not an option and the area I work in is few and far between major service companies. Any help would be great!
    It seems there is a lot going on here. This field can be hard on families. It seems to me that the divorce rate seems even higher in this field than others probably because of the hours and the on call. (Not saying that is happening but I get the impression it is causing stress with the family.) I would speak with them and get them to understand which they should by now imo. Use the on call sheet and make a copies to have at home and for your wife's purse so plans can be made easier.

When I worked commercial I knew when I was going to be home 90+% of the time. In residential it was the opposite. Maybe something to think about. You said there weren't many "major service companies" near you. Sometimes a smaller company is better.

It may be time for some self reflection. You don't seem to be getting answers from your friends, family, coworkers or your boss. Is any of it due to you? Sometimes businesses like to keep workers separated or even at each others throats it seemed to me. In any event it doesn't look as though you should be the one to be speaking out about conditions at work right now. Maybe plant the seed in coworkers and get them to say the same thing you are trying to get across. If enough have the same problems then maybe something can be done.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Post Likes
    Just throwing this out to the OP. It might be you need a whole new career that is Mon thru Fri 8 to 5. HVACR just sometimes has crazy hours but if know weeks in advance that you have the duty you have to rearrange your plans.
    I had a buddy that worked at a brewery can plant and they worked rotating shifts, 3 different shifts. They were issued calendars to carry that they could look and see out six months if on any day if on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift. It was just part of the job and IIRC he worked 7 days straight then 3 off then rotated shift.

Post Likes
    Thought about it and actually nailed some interviews with said places but their mouths were salivating to hire someone with my experience for a little bit above min wage...yeah I tried negotiating but it was concrete offers.
    Guessing the benefit package working in house ( lower pay ) is better than where you work now, reason for the lower pay? With all that exhausting travel time each day upwards of 20+ hours per week? Plus the rigid on call schedule. Why not get a low stress part time job 10,15,20 hrs a week along with your in house lower stress better benefit package lower pay job, may even have a HR department to vent frustrations if they ever arrises ( probably would get better results than where you work for when problems arise. )

Then take it from there, after a while your pay may get better once your proven, where you can quit the other part time low stress job.

Post Likes
    So I left a job of 6 years due to lack of respect, leadership, belittlement by the manager, etc. I went to another company and its been a little over 6 months. I keep my head low, I don't gossip, I do my work which is basically what I did for the old company (service, maintenance and repair) and head home. Sounds lovely right? I can't seem to find anything good actually. I can't get answers from my coworkers on certain jobs, no one wants to cover/trade on call for me, when I ask ahead of time for certain weeks off of on call due to prior engagements it gets brushed aside, the drives are incredibly long and draining and result in 10-12 hours away with a small travel stipend along with truck and gas card. I just feel deflated and when I bring it up to my wife or best friend they have no answer for me. Honestly I don't have an answer for myself. I am thinking of switching companies, I'm a fairly good tech. Honesty is my game alomg with kindness repsect and valuable knowledge. Ive voiced concern to my superiors with no concrete answer and was basically told to move elsewhere if I wanted more personal time (ie it would be closer to our accounts) I just feel like compared to my last job I'm pissing away my time and I'm at work more times than I'm home and also only getting paid for 8 hours a day when 10-14 hour days are not uncommon.

Sorry for the sob story, END RANT.

I'm seeking the answer to the day old question, do I stick it out or try to find something else? Relocation is not an option and the area I work in is few and far between major service companies. Any help would be great!
    Have you thought about doing jobs on your own? I know you work long days as it is, but you may be able to easily transition into having your own company. Everyone loves an honest and knowledgeable technician.

If that's not an option then I'd definitely look elsewhere!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in