Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Unless there was a at-hire agreement to the contrary - I say: go in and make your case. You just gave me an outline of your attributes - now go detail that, and more, to your boss: go in and sell yourself to the man. Convince him by persuasive discussion why it is in his best interest to pay you more. Dedicated self-actuated and self-developing employees are hard to find and even harder to retain.

You have nothing to lose and a nice opportunity to get a feel for the kind of man your boss is.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by KDHVAC View Post
    Hi all!
    I'm posting this not to talk about exact dollars, but rather how I should go about asking for a raise. Advice from owners and techs/installers welcomed.

First about me. I used to work for a HVAC wholesaler. Started in the warehouse and then drove a truck for almost 4 years before snatched by a customer. Been with this shop for 5 months and am very happy. After 4 months I got a van and gas card and started doing new home construction solo. Setting furnace, ductwork, vents, flexducts, fireplaces and gas piping.

I took a dollar pay cut to learn the trade, and with my 6 months approaching I did some research to see what other companies were paying. Most starting wages are 3-5$ higher than mine. So I intend to ask for a 4$ raise.

I don't think it's unreasonable as my work looks good. Only issues I've had are some gas leaks but have been able to locate and fix them too.

My last job had scheduled reviews every year and your raise was given based on goals accomplished and managers opinion of you (around 1-4% raise).
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    OP. Let us see some pics of your work. You do take pictures don't you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KDHVAC View Post
    I did some research to see what other companies were paying. Most starting wages are 3-5$ higher than mine. So I intend to ask for a 4$ raise.

I don't think it's unreasonable as my work looks good. Only issues I've had are some gas leaks but have been able to locate and fix them too.
    Tell the boss what you read about others making 5 dollars more and just wonder how close you are to getting that

As for gas leaks in iron pipe .... it happens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12