Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Advice on 2 inch blower shaft removal.

Got a blower shaft that needs replaced. Tried heating it up, got a puller. Going back tomorrow with more torches. Any advice is very appreciated.Name:  54C83456-A656-4020-B0B1-6F6385A630D7.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  59.0 KBName:  43D245DD-4DBF-45BE-A491-5FA0AB6FCFA8.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  64.0 KB

Post Likes
    Wow that is huge. I have not worked on anything near that big but when we have stuck shafts we use soafoam deep creep. I have no idea if that would help but thats my best idea.

What is that on?

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Not sure of the tonage, maybe 100. Large factory ah with a chilled water coil. I believe it is close to 40k cfm from 1970 possibly.

Post Likes
    WOW Dude,thats cool! Need an enthusiastic helper?

Post Likes
    Wow. Thats too cool.

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    WD-40, rags... spray that shaft, wipe the crud off of it.
    60 grit sandpaper.
    WD-40, hammer on everything, might want to have ear plugs at this point.
    repeat any and all steps necessary.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Grinders with wire wheels. Clean,clean,clean. Piece by piece

Post Likes
    Worse case cut the shaft and remove in pieces.

Post Likes
    Can’t really tell by the pic there. Is the pic with the puller attempting to remove the blower wheel? Not sure since you’re clamped around the shaft and also pushing on the shaft.....

If you’re removing the wheel, you have to heat the wheel, not the shaft. You need ALOT of heat REAL fast. You have to heat the wheel hub a hot as you can, as fast as you can before the shaft heats up. If you can cool the shaft at the same time, that helps. Liquid CO2, etc.

Realistically though, you may not be able to get it in the field. We’ve had to take wheels that size to a machine shop to have them pressed off the shafts.

If you don’t care about the shaft, cut it off close to the wheel, then drill out the center a little at a time until you can get a sawsall blade in there to cut slots outward toward the wheel hub. Eventually you’ll get enough material out that it will let go.

Really though, the amount of time and effort expended for that, just take it to a machine shop.

10. Likes Lahrs liked this post
    Post Likes
    What happened, bearings fail and narf up the shaft. Wheel fail?. With a failed bearing that has dug into the shaft. We had just moved the the shaft out a few inches. In your case it looks like your past that option. I would order a new shaft but in your case you may need a machine shop to cut you one with the proper key ways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Name:  7D5BE282-9A1C-4804-A652-FA02F266133B.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  60.7 KBBearing block came loose, wore a spot in the shaft. This is suspended over the production floor of the factory with a catwalk access. The other side of the wheel has no access for a few feet until the belt and bearing area, we might cut an access in the duct. If we can’t get it with the heat and puller tomorrow, the machine shop

Post Likes
    Just cut out the housing, then patch it back together. Be smart about the patch, bolts or welding, be careful relying on sheet metal screws of any size. Unless you make the patch larger than the hole, so it couldn’t be sucked in if the fasteners fail.

Post Likes
    Are you replacing the shaft because the shaft is bad from where the bearings ate into the shaft?Can you cut off the bearings with a right angle grinder/ Remove the old bearings.make a plate and bolt and weld it to where the old bearing bolts up.The plate is wider than where the old bearings sat.Now you have a larger plate. Put the new bearings onto the new plate, out from the damaged shaft.In other words ,mount the bearings on the extended plate, where the shaft is still good.Not sure if what I'm saying would work here?I'm not there.I did something like that.A long time ago.Good Luck!!! I think you will play hell ,trying to remove that shaft.Will it get free from the wheel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast