Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by M7CC View Post
    Just to follow up on this, I did finally contact the local PE who, in his words is "a member of the Acoustical Society of America, the Institute of Noise Control Engineering and the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers".

He said, "I’m not able to do much of the “ME” stuff, with the load calcs and such. I’m not an HVAC designer."

I did have an HVAC guy come out, had a great chat about options (I did not bring up the NC requirement). He said he'd get back to me with a quote. Never heard from him again...

I mainly wanted to come back and ask this:

I read that there are a series of Schedules, not just J but S, T and D that can help with a complete design -- without having to pay an ME to reinvent the wheel for me. When we had our house upgraded with AC and a heat pump, they did none of that, probably just a quicky version of Schedule J.

Would you agree that, assuming I could find someone who knows what J, S, T D are, and will run them for me -- that should tell me what I need to know? I assume then I could just tell that person (or any HVAC installer) the design specs so they can size any equipment and ductwork. Also it should help ensure I build my baffle boxes correctly, etc.
    Like HVAC Contractors you'll have to keep looking for a ME or PE that knows what in the hell there doing!
    He said, "I’m not able to do much of the “ME” stuff, with the load calcs and such. I’m not an HVAC designer."
    So basically he said he cant read a ruler...………..Sad indeed!

Post Likes
    Actually, my take on it is, this "member of the Acoustical Society of America, the Institute of Noise Control Engineering and the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers" guy told you exactly what you were looking for. Let me explain, here's what I think he said:

I can't do your load calcs, duct sizing or equipment selection, but once the equipment is selected, give me a call. I'll make it quiet for you.

Quote Originally Posted by M7CC View Post
    Just to follow up on this, I did finally contact the local PE who, in his words is "a member of the Acoustical Society of America, the Institute of Noise Control Engineering and the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers".

I did have an HVAC guy come out, had a great chat about options (I did not bring up the NC requirement). He said he'd get back to me with a quote. Never heard from him again...

I mainly wanted to come back and ask this:

I read that there are a series of Schedules, not just J but S, T and D that can help with a complete design -- without having to pay an ME to reinvent the wheel for me. When we had our house upgraded with AC and a heat pump, they did none of that, probably just a quicky version of Schedule J.

Would you agree that, assuming I could find someone who knows what J, S, T D are, and will run them for me -- that should tell me what I need to know? I assume then I could just tell that person (or any HVAC installer) the design specs so they can size any equipment and ductwork. Also it should help ensure I build my baffle boxes correctly, etc.

Think about it.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I just got back from a week in Sarasota, Fl . We stayed at my wife's sister/BiL ' condo on Siesta Beech they bought 2 years ago & gutted. 1million + in renovations. This place had the quietest hvac system in a residence I have ever been exposed too. Mostly " slot diffusers " and lots of zones. 5000+ sqft between the two top floors of the building. They used a sound engineer to quite system. It just takes money.
    Oh yeah, he didn't fix ac's for a living

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    I just got back from a week in Sarasota, Fl . We stayed at my wife's sister/BiL ' condo on Siesta Beech they bought 2 years ago & gutted. 1million + in renovations. This place had the quietest hvac system in a residence I have ever been exposed too. Mostly " slot diffusers " and lots of zones. 5000+ sqft between the two top floors of the building. They used a sound engineer to quite system. It just takes money.
    B S

It’s called Manual “D”

Post Likes
    Yeah, I oversized my ducting and slowed the airflow down.

It's about as quiet as it can get. Love it.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Not for nuttin', the OP wants a written GUARANTEE the noise level meets his requirements of silence.

Post Likes
    I would be seriously surprised if anyone, other than a novice that does not know what they are doing...
    Would sign that guarantee...

And given the novice does not know what they are doing... it would be a waste anyhow... as the novice does not know how to make it happen.

So either way... the customer looses... due to unrealistic expectations.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    B S

It’s called Manual “D”
    No shit Sherlock. This was D on steroids

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Not for nuttin', the OP wants a written GUARANTEE the noise level meets his requirements of silence.
    The design engineers needed to do this job will never take responsibility if it's not to customer spec's. It's allways the installers fault thanks to that contract wording pertaining to " errors & omissions "

Post Likes
    No shit Sherlock. This was D on steroids

Post Likes
    It would be insane to offer any guarantee without the entire project being properly engineered.

Is the room going to be floating on seismic pucks and isolated from the rest of the structure??? How about the doors? You spending 3 4, or 5k on the door? How about the sound proofing trim kit? 1, 2k... since you're not willing to pay for the engineering I suspect the idea of a 5 to 10k door to enter the studio is way outside the box.

Anyone who has a clue as to what is needed is going to run from any guarantee as it is a small part of the project. When it comes to soundproofing a room for studio quality the amount is noise conducted through the structure can be very high, especially if the floor is concrete or wood.

Perhaps you can consider a different approach, put a relay in so it cuts the system off when actually recording and turns it on when not seeking that silence? (Need to totally kill power so no electrical noise such as transformers vibrations are present)

Fyi a properly constructed sound studio is going to run about 200 bucks per square foot in many areas of the country.

You can do it cheaper, absolutely, but not with sound level guarantees as you seek.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12