Post Likes

How to properly seal HVAC closet

Hello,

I currently live in an attic of a home that was converted into a single bedroom living space. I have an HVAC system where the main unit is placed in the closet of the bedroom and the vents run up through the ceiling and go to each room of the house pushing air through ceiling vents. My ceiling is just a drop ceiling with insulated drop tiles. The issue Im having is that In the closet there is no ceiling tile where the vents are running through and its exposing the attic to the living area. I was wondering if there is a safe way to seal off my living area from the attic? Winter is coming soon I dont want the cold attic air coming in through this hole, and this gap also allows smells from other floors to get into my living area. Im just not sure what is the safest route to do this. Im willing to seal off the whole closet from the outside of the room If I have to. Thanks In advance for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    I hate seeing those installs. The proper way would be to move it to the attic if you have the space up there.
    have done a few like that once the owner realized all the advantages, but you will spend some money.
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by micdundee View Post
    I hate seeing those installs. The proper way would be to move it to the attic if you have the space up there.
    have done a few like that once the owner realized all the advantages, but you will spend some money.
    The proper way would NOT be to put it in the attic. I'm not sure what the proper way would be, but that's not it. Condensing furnaces should be put in unconditioned spaces as a LAST resort only.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but does this furnace have a ducted return, or is it just pulling return air from that room?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.