Post Likes

I have a dual system, which combination is most efficient?

I have a 4000 sf home with a 1200 sf finished basement and a 1200 sf unfinished basement. The rest of the home is on a single level.

The basement has an on demand water heater by triangle tube that heats both an 80 gallon tank for potable water as well as 2 in floor loops, one in the basement and one in the garage. I keep the garage at 40 deg all winter, and it is nice for melting the Wisconsin snow. My question however is about the geat for the home.

The hydraunic system only heats the basement, nothing on the first floor. The home also has a forced air system that heats both floors.

My question is in regards to which system or combination is the best way to heat my home? Do I overheat the basement floor and use the furnace fan to move the air? Heat the basement with the floor and upstairs with the forced air? No floor heat at all?

We don't use the basement too much, but enough to keep it comfortable for the kids. Both floors are usually set to 69deg all winter.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dan

Post Likes
    You generally should not mix air with radiant in the same space, as they are heating via two different methods.
    Radiant in a slab is slow heat up/cool down and of course superior comfort, the exact opposite as the way you use the room.
    Depends a lot on how the forced air is sized and set up.
    May be too inefficient to just use 1/2 your forced air system all the time, unless it’s zoned.
    Maybe some data loggers on both systems and a lot of numbers crunching.
    Maybe leave the radiant off until you get below or close to freezing, then set it/forget it at minimal comfor temp.
    I think trying to use radiant, and blower fan is the worse idea. Radiant is heating all the objects in the room, not necessarily the air. Running the fan usually raises humidity.
    Properly designed radiant is most comfortable, and with the proper control strategy is usually a much lower operating cost over forced air.
    I sure hope your potable water is separated from your radiant water.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    _ MOST EFFICIENT
    ____ GEOTHERMAL with 3 systems:
    ... ... Climate Master, Water Furnace, or ___

______ 1. 1,600 sq ft First level - Forced Air
    ______ 2. 2,400 sq ft Basement - Radiant
    ______ 3. ~ 800 sq ft Garage - Radiant

______ Add ~ 10,000 Watts SOLAR PV
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    thanks for the input.

my forced air system is zoned with one upstairs and one in the basement.

the hydraunic system is on its own loop(s) as i understand the presigue solo 175 triangle tube water heater that i have, they flow through opposite sides of the unit, they just share the same heating element. looking at prices, it seems like it must have been a thought out system for someone to use a $4k water heater.

this system was installed by the original home builder, so i dont know how anything is sized or what the original intention was on how it should be used most efficiently.

Post Likes
    _ _ 137,000 BTUH _ NET _

https://www.triangletube.com/getmedi...l.pdf?ext=.pdf

5.5: 1 TurnDown Ratio

Someone else might be able to dream up the initial heating concept
    that the original builder had in mind for this WI residence.

The Integration of the On-Demand DHW, a 2-Zone Forced Air System
    in addition to RADIANT systems
    is Beyond Me at-this-time.

_______

" ...The hydronic system only heats the basement, nothing on the first floor.
    The home also has a Forced Air system that heats both floors. ... "
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities