Post Likes

New Carrier CA16NA System Advice

I am building a new home and the builder has spec’ed the Carrier CA16NA system for the home. We are in Dallas, so we use our AC here. I am curious about this unit—it is not even available on Carrier’s website so I assume it is the absolute cheapest thing the builder can buy. Is it worth pushing for a better unit? I had a VS unit in a prior home and really enjoyed the comfort it brought. Can I ask a ballpark of what the cost difference should be going up to an Infinity system? Finally, the builder is being difficult about which side of the house to install the condenser—they say one side is more efficient. Is there any way one side of the home could actually be more efficient?

Thanks for the assistance.

Post Likes
    You are correct that is the builder grade carrier the only difference between that and the standard comfort series is the chicken wire shroud around the outside and the metal cabinet is thinner also the paint job is a little crappier. I would tell them to do a minimum performance series because they use Copeland scroll compressors on every unit along with Genteq fan motors compared to Broad Ocean motors and LG compressors. Both are junk in my opinion.The only way to guarantee a Copeland scroll compressor is go with performance series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The Comfort series puts Americans to work, the CA puts Mexicans to work.

As for what compressor, our American Standard supplier thinks LG are better than Alliance/Copeland. Go figure.

Going to the Infinity will be really pricey but you know your budget. As for what side, could make the unit a tad more efficient in the shade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4575 View Post
    I am building a new home and the builder has spec’ed the Carrier CA16NA system for the home.

We are in Dallas, so we use our AC here. I am curious about this unit—
    it is not even available on Carrier’s website so I assume it is the absolute cheapest thing the builder can buy.

Is it worth pushing for a better unit?

I had a VS unit in a prior home and really enjoyed the comfort it brought.

Can I ask a ballpark of what the cost difference should be going up to an Infinity system?

Finally, the builder is being difficult about which side of the house to install the condenser—
    they say one side is more efficient.

Is there any way one side of the home could actually be more efficient?

Thanks for the assistance.
    WHERE ELSE are the BUILDER / HVAC Contractor cutting corners?

PROCEDURE / STEPS FOR ACHIEVING A TRUE COMFORT SYSTEM
    ______ https://www.energystar.gov/ia/home_i...ors/qispec.pdf

ALL DUCTS AND A/C EQUIPMENT WITHIN CONDITIONED SPACE.

1. ACCA Manual J Room-by-Room calc

2. Duct Layout
    __________ PAGE 2 / FIGURE 3
    _______________ https://www.rses.org/assets/servicea...al/630-148.pdf

3. ACCA Manual S - Equipment Selection
    _ AHRI #

4. ACCA Manual D - DP & Duct Sizing Determination

Need Any assistance
    Provide ALL SPECS and house details to
    gmail address: racingdan11
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    WHERE ELSE are the BUILDER / HVAC Contractor cutting corners?

PROCEDURE / STEPS FOR ACHIEIVNG A TRUE COMFORT SYSTEM
    ______ https://www.energystar.gov/ia/home_i...ors/qispec.pdf

ALL DUCTS AND A/C EQUIPMENT WITHIN CONDITIONED SPACE.

1. ACCA Manual J Room-by-Room calc
    2. Duct Layout
    3. ACCA Manual S - Equipment Selection
    _ AHRI #
    4. ACCA Manual D - DP & Duct Sizing Determination

Need Any assistance
    Provide ALL SPECS and house details to
    gmail address: racingdan11
    Your not getting a warm fuzzy feeling from this builder either!

Post Likes
    “ Is it worth pushing for a better unit? I had a VS unit in a prior home and really enjoyed the comfort it brought. “

You can push all you want, and they may agree, but they may also cut corners or even cut more corners to make up the cost difference. IMO I would upgrade to a better tier model and pay a difference.

At 16 SEER rating, ( Carrier web-site that unit is rated from 14-16.5 SEER depending on ID selection ) ask for a AHRI match to prove your getting 16 SEER ( on paper ) if that’s what your under the assumption and paying for as it’s the indoor selection along with the OD unit that determines your SEER and EER, not solely the OD unit rating, besides having a matched system, your system may be eligible for any rebates your state or local utility company may offer.

As an example:

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Home/D...WXXrJVrAdcQcRl

Big thing is getting system registered, as that part can easily fall through the cracks. Manufacturers warranty decreases significantly if system is never registered. I would shoot for registration during the closing date.

Hopefully they do not run your unit during construction period, such as when they are sanding Sheetrock, cutting wood, as all that fine dust can get into the indoor section, and ductwork.

I suppose if one side of the house has more shading on the OD unit, may be one example to install the unit there, as long as it meets the minimum requirements from walls, overhangs etc.

Post Likes

BASIS for BUILDING THERMAL ENVELOPE

IECC 2018
    ______ https://www.energycodes.gov/sites/de...esidential.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    EXAMPLE
    ____ 2,400 SF - 2 Story

_______ DALLAS TX 99'F
    _________________ 24'F

INFILTRATION
    _______ A.C.H. Natural < 0.25

3-TON, 2-STAGE, 17+ SEER HEAT PUMP
    would likely be appropriate for Example residence.

$ 0.110 / kw-hr
    https://www.electricitylocal.com/states/texas/dallas/
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Designer Dan