Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18

Thread: Hey Coolwhip

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,849
    Post Likes

    Hey Coolwhip

    Wanna know what that 440 will do?

    This one is a stock motor from the intake down with a big blower on it, running 6.90 1/4 mile.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    6,717
    Post Likes
    Used to own a red 65 Dodge Coronet with a 426 wedge 3 speed automatic, geared for highway use. Couple years later installed a marine electronic distributor with an enormous high voltage transformer. The vehicle was originally purchased from Mr.Norm in Chicago, he basically sold all high performance vehicles.

    Best car I ever owned, kept it for many years. Had a girlfriend smash it up, couldnt afford to fix it, and lost it, still miss it to this day. Knew this car so well, that if I hear anything funny, knew what it was. Replace the exhaust system by putting a small muffler close to the engine to keep it hot, and exhausted it out before the rear wheels. Wasn't very loud (don't like loud exhausts), but it was an unreal high speed car. I once had it on I75 going north with no one on the highway going a bit past 120, and it still had more to go, but the tires scared me and I backed off.

    I changed the carburetor with a 3 barrel, but later disconnected the third barrel, didn't need it, and the gas mileage got much better. I drove it several times from Tampa to Chicago, and the gas mileage was real close to 18 mpg. I sure still miss it to this day.

    But electric is the way to go now, gas engines cant beat it in any way. But I hate to admit it, I still miss that car to this day lol.

    Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    23,283
    Post Likes
    Thanks K...looks like our 69 GTX is going to become a hobby in the near future. I better start learning about the 440 engine. I don't want anything sticking out of the hood though, as the hood is one of the cool things on this car IMO.

    If I muscle it out a bit, I need to make sure the gear box can handle it, the drive shaft, as well as other things no doubt.
    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,849
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Thanks K...looks like our 69 GTX is going to become a hobby in the near future. I better start learning about the 440 engine. I don't want anything sticking out of the hood though, as the hood is one of the cool things on this car IMO.

    If I muscle it out a bit, I need to make sure the gear box can handle it, the drive shaft, as well as other things no doubt.
    Plenty more you can do to it and keep under the hood. A cam, intake and larger carb, and headers will get you a bunch more horsepower. And you can always fit a turbo under the hood if you wanted, but personally I would stay normally aspirated on that engine. They make a fuel injection system for that motor that will also give you more power and improve drivability.

    Is it an automatic? The stock 727 Torqueflight is very tough, it will handle quite a few extra ponies. And it can be built to handle much more.

    Have fun with it, I would love to get my hands on one of those.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    23,283
    Post Likes
    Good info K...appreciate it!

    We have been saving up for a motorhome, and now Im starting to get the bug to invest some dough into the GTX. I would need to know a reputable mechanic...somebody experienced with old school mopar.
    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    6,717
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Good info K...appreciate it!

    We have been saving up for a motorhome, and now Im starting to get the bug to invest some dough into the GTX. I would need to know a reputable mechanic...somebody experienced with old school mopar.
    Well I'm it lol. But getting too old to work on cars, and really don't want to anymore. The reason for this is, I have advanced and know those cars are nice but there is something so much better now, so I moved on.

    Do yourself a favor, find a Tesla dealer near you and test drive one, I'm not saying buy it, just test drive one.

    And then talk about your plans again.

    Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14,494
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Good info K...appreciate it!

    We have been saving up for a motorhome, and now Im starting to get the bug to invest some dough into the GTX. I would need to know a reputable mechanic...somebody experienced with old school mopar.
    Those old mopars are very easy to work on..you can essentially be your own mechanic.
    While trying to obtain proper clearances within specs...aim for loose and be within specs.
    Different metals expand at different rates...some expand faster depending where they are at as well.
    Also if there was a problem area... Mopar did do updates later.. you just have to find the revised part.
    The biggest problem was the shift overlap ... thus why the proper fluid was critical as it offered the correct amount of slip time before full engagement...that friction modifier does wear out this is why it was important to change the transmission fluid.
    Also they experimented with different leverage ratios for band application..that also changes the amount of time before full engagement...in short be sure that band is set properly for the lever it's using.
    Ideal however is no engine runaway on the shift without an overlap shift...in other words a little loose on the band to begin with rather than it wearing where it needs to be.
    People would use dexron fluid (only ok to top off if nothing else is available)..but they would use it anyway and start wearing away at the transmission.
    Those mopars drove better than the rest of the cars in the era.
    I remember as a child we had new Chevrolets and an old Mopar usually..when we had to climb the mountains we took the Mopar as the Chevrolets would overheat on us.
    Also a bigger fuel tank for trekking across the desert...better ac..better cooling... more fuel... more leg room
    We can't forget that cool ignition ring light either.



    Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk
    ...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    23,283
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the 411 MG.
    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

  9. Likes Missouri Guy liked this post
  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14,494
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Used to own a red 65 Dodge Coronet with a 426 wedge 3 speed automatic, geared for highway use. Couple years later installed a marine electronic distributor with an enormous high voltage transformer. The vehicle was originally purchased from Mr.Norm in Chicago, he basically sold all high performance vehicles.

    Best car I ever owned, kept it for many years. Had a girlfriend smash it up, couldnt afford to fix it, and lost it, still miss it to this day. Knew this car so well, that if I hear anything funny, knew what it was. Replace the exhaust system by putting a small muffler close to the engine to keep it hot, and exhausted it out before the rear wheels. Wasn't very loud (don't like loud exhausts), but it was an unreal high speed car. I once had it on I75 going north with no one on the highway going a bit past 120, and it still had more to go, but the tires scared me and I backed off.

    I changed the carburetor with a 3 barrel, but later disconnected the third barrel, didn't need it, and the gas mileage got much better. I drove it several times from Tampa to Chicago, and the gas mileage was real close to 18 mpg. I sure still miss it to this day.

    But electric is the way to go now, gas engines cant beat it in any way. But I hate to admit it, I still miss that car to this day lol.

    Roy
    Bet it was still handling good as well..
    Back in that era the Chevy and Ford's were very dangerous at 105 at best they wallowed and the suspension geometry was deadly when you let off the throttle.



    Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk
    ...

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    23,283
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    Bet it was still handling good as well..
    Back in that era the Chevy and Ford's were very dangerous at 105 at best they wallowed and the suspension geometry was deadly when you let off the throttle.



    Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk
    Im learning already guys...I didn't know any of this info.
    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    5,009
    Post Likes
    Is that a photo of your GTX CW? I had a Duster back in high school that was that same color of green. Of course it did not have a 440. Good thing or I would probably not be alive today. Have fun with it my friend.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    23,283
    Post Likes
    Thanks Gibby!
    “Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,849
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Is that a photo of your GTX CW? I had a Duster back in high school that was that same color of green. Of course it did not have a 440. Good thing or I would probably not be alive today. Have fun with it my friend.
    I did too, but only a slant six under the hood.

    And hey, Gibby. Good to see you around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •