Thread: Boiler woes

Post Likes

Boiler woes

Hello,
    Last year I had a plumber install a new steam oil boiler. He chose a Smith Series 8. I had some issues with the plumber that I won't waste your time with, but I would prefer not to work with him again. Anyway, it got installed and worked fine until last weekend when it wouldn't start. To me it seemed like there was no power. I checked all the things, then called a reputable local HVAC company. The service tech came out and fixed it. He told me there was a problem with the pressure sensor and that the pigtail was a little dirty so he cleaned it. He also mentioned that it was odd because the boiler started when the cover of the pressure sensor was removed, even before he cleaned the pigtail.

The boiler worked for a few days then did the same thing. Yesterday I was frustrated and cold on a Saturday so I removed the cover on the pressure sensor and the boiler started right up. Same thing today.

My question is, what the hell do I do? Call the tech for a new sensor? Leave the cover off? Is this normal for a brand new boiler that was installed in April 2019? Everytime I call the tech its automatically $130 plus parts so I would prefer to not call them weekly!

For your info, the sensor is a Honeywell. I would attach pictures if I could figure out how.

Post Likes
    This sounds unsafe.
    Oil should be serviced every year anyway.
    If you dont want them back out, you will have to find another qualified company to service your boiler. Research reputations and choose one.

Pictures cant be posted until you have made 7 or so posts.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Find a oil guy and Steam guy you can trust and pay him what he wants with a good tip!

Post Likes
    Simply removing the cover from a safety device should not affect how (or if) it works. This is something that needs to be addressed. As mentioned you need to find yourself a reputable company that has experienced techs that work on both steam and oil. The type system you have can become a real money pit if you choose who works on it by price.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Your being charged for a non working unit installed less than a year ago?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Your being charged for a non working unit installed less than a year ago?
    He isn’t calling the installing contractor.

He is using a different company so he of course will be charged.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    He isn’t calling the installing contractor.

He is using a different company so he of course will be charged.
    I missed that.