Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes

    new Thermostat for old payne/bryant package heat pump

    I have a customer with an old package heat pump. Someone else replaced the thermostat with a new digital but I was called after the unit would run heat any time the thermostat was set to heat mode.
    I determined that the modern style of thermosat that powers the reversing valve 24/7 was incompatible with this old unit which requires the reversing valve to cycle.

    Anyone know of an available (non programmable) heat pump thermostat that cycles the B terminal with the compressor?
    Or, anyone know a compatibility fix to solve this issue with the old style design?

    I thought I could wire in an isolation relay to cycle B using Y but there is a feedback loop somewhere that creates a holding circuit. I could not find a relay configuration that would shut off my relay without breaking both Y and B.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    608
    Post Likes
    What make and model thermostat is installed right now?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,436
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dften View Post
    the unit would run heat any time the thermostat was set to heat mode.
    yea but .... thats whats the unit's supposed to do , right ?










    Man just 2 weeks ago I threw out a brand new mercury stat which probly came with this unit

    Had it laying around here and got tired of seeing it ....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    31,438
    Post Likes
    1) what is the stat model, and

    2) what is the indoor and outdoor unit(s) model number?
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,436
    Post Likes
    Its a package unit

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    31,438
    Post Likes
    Still need more info than that.....
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I installed Emerson non programmable Mfg. #: 1F83H-21NP, the previous one was a basic Honeywell programmable heat pump stat, I have no information on what was there originally when the system worked.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    To clarify:
    when the cool-off-heat-em switch is changed to heat, the unit starts and runs regardless of set point and room temp. It runs until the switch position is changed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    40,294
    Post Likes
    That must be a relic. What's the model #? It's been 40 years since RVs cycled with the call for compressor.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    1,317
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That must be a relic. What's the model #? It's been 40 years since RVs cycled with the call for compressor.
    BDP/Carrier residential HP & small package HP use O for RV to energize in cool. Commercial style units( 7 1/2 up IIRC correctly )RV still operates in heat. The OP must be DIY and not a tech to be unable to hook up a simple HP stat

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,436
    Post Likes
    Oh i bet i know whats goin on , i came across a unit with this stupid ass wiring designed with a "HOLDING RELAY"

    They designed it this way so you could use a regular ol furnace type thermostat

    The most eefffin retarded thing ive ever seen

    I could not figure how to remove that garbage either

    Get this , it had heat strips but no way to make them run !

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    608
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dften View Post
    I have a customer with an old package heat pump. Someone else replaced the thermostat with a new digital but I was called after the unit would run heat any time the thermostat was set to heat mode.
    I determined that the modern style of thermosat that powers the reversing valve 24/7 was incompatible with this old unit which requires the reversing valve to cycle.

    Anyone know of an available (non programmable) heat pump thermostat that cycles the B terminal with the compressor?
    Or, anyone know a compatibility fix to solve this issue with the old style design?

    I thought I could wire in an isolation relay to cycle B using Y but there is a feedback loop somewhere that creates a holding circuit. I could not find a relay configuration that would shut off my relay without breaking both Y and B.
    Get your post count up then send in your credentials. I would be happy to help you once you are a vetted pro member. We are not allowed to help DIY people, and until you have the professional status you are considered DIY.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    6,651
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dften View Post
    I installed Emerson non programmable Mfg. #: 1F83H-21NP, the previous one was a basic Honeywell programmable heat pump stat, I have no information on what was there originally when the system worked.
    Are you sure your old Honeywell stat was programmed for heat pump?
    It sounds like your heat pump is designed to work off a straight air thermostat.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •