Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Oh i bet i know whats goin on , i came across a unit with this stupid ass wiring designed with a "HOLDING RELAY"

They designed it this way so you could use a regular ol furnace type thermostat

The most eefffin retarded thing ive ever seen

I could not figure how to remove that garbage either

Get this , it had heat strips but no way to make them run !
    Exactly. I'm thinking about trying a two stage conventional with a relay to switch power from thermostat W to unit W (reversing valve) and Y. Second stage would power the strips as aux heat. Assuming the unit runs correctly this way, my only sacrafice would be there would be no emergency mode but that seems like a minor thing.

Post Likes
    Carrier has been doing that since before the programmable stats came out, all done with a mess of relays.

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Are you sure your old Honeywell stat was programmed for heat pump?
    It sounds like your heat pump is designed to work off a straight air thermostat.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Carrier has been doing that since before the programmable stats came out, all done with a mess of relays.
    Using a straight air t-stat on commercial heat pumps is pretty common but you rarely see it on residential. You just don't expect it so it catches you off guard. It's really a pretty simple design & if i remember things correctly you only have to change one wire if you want to use a HP t-stat.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dften View Post
    Exactly. I'm thinking about trying a two stage conventional with a relay to switch power from thermostat W to unit W (reversing valve) and Y. Second stage would power the strips as aux heat. Assuming the unit runs correctly this way, my only sacrafice would be there would be no emergency mode but that seems like a minor thing.
    You're really over thinking things. There's no need for any relays. I'm guessing the unit was designed to used a straight air t-stat with two stage heat & that's it. Nothing needs to be added, it just needs to be wired properly at the t-stat. If we were in the pro section I could show you how simple it is.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12