Post Likes

Confused Carrier model consult

Hello,

I'm in the process of replacing my old system for a new one, homedepot dispatched me a contractor today
    he gave an estimate for the a Carrier model INFINITY® 19VS 24VNA937 I agreed with the terms.
    After he left the house he called me saying that the model 24VNA937 was't available and instead
    they will install the model 24VNA936 that actually is a newer model (per the estimator) but there are almost the same.
    Can anybody tell me what are are the differences between the two, are they almost the same? even in price?
    movel 24VNA936 is a newer model?

Please advise,

Thanks

Post Likes
    Price is area dependent, so that we cannot answer. Even if there is a difference in price, the dealer may make it right.

There is a difference in performance. Ask about the performance and why. It's possible one is not available or not approved for your region.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    From what I could dig up they are essentially the same unit. The 37 has a significanty larger condenser coil and an 850 rpm condenser fan motor, the 36 uses a 1050 rpm condenser fan motor and holds 1lb less of refrigerant. Both are 5 stage units but the 37 goes from 40-100% capacity, 36 is 25-100%. Is this system being zoned? A 3 ton running at 100%, will move about 1200 cfm thru all your ductwork, when the 36 stages down to 40% it's only going to move 480 cfm, which may not have sufficient velocity to adequately reach far bedroom's during low load cooling

Post Likes

Carrier doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    From what I could dig up they are essentially the same unit. The 37 has a significanty larger condenser coil and an 850 rpm condenser fan motor, the 36 uses a 1050 rpm condenser fan motor and holds 1lb less of refrigerant. Both are 5 stage units but the 37 goes from 40-100% capacity, 36 is 25-100%. Is this system being zoned? A 3 ton running at 100%, will move about 1200 cfm thru all your ductwork, when the 36 stages down to 40% it's only going to move 480 cfm, which may not have sufficient velocity to adequately reach far bedroom's during low load cooling

Thank you all for the answers, the unit will be installed in a 3 level house, and it is not zoned

Post Likes
    I agree with makeitcold. I'm nervous about these inverter systems on non zoned duct systems. As he says, if you are moving 25% of the air on low as on high, air might not get to your 3rd level in cooling. Tri-level homes are hard enough to get even temps on all 3 floors.

Post Likes
    Is the airhandler in the basement or attic or in a closet somewhere? Heat will always rise and cold air will always sink so depending on unit location it's not going to work well for the opposite floor. Air wants to take the path of least resistance, so if the a/h is in the basement on full blast, the upper most floor where the roof heat load is will typically not get enough airflow to keep it at setpoint and will always be to hot to use if the tstat is on the ground floor. Once the system stages down at partial load you may not even be able to feel airflow out of the vents. How is your contractor planning on negating this without zoning? Was static pressure and airflow measured, testing for duct leakage?

Post Likes
    The 37 is energy star certified. The 36 is not. Should have same capacity, the 36 uses slightly more energy to get there. The 36 was introduced first so it is not a newer model
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    The 37 is energy star certified. The 36 is not. Should have same capacity, the 36 uses slightly more energy to get there. The 36 was introduced first so it is not a newer model
    The as advertised efficiency was both the 36 & 37 were up to 19 seer, 12.5 eer for the 36 and 13 eer for the 37. I couldn't find anything more detailed but that seems like a silly minimum standard to achieve Energy star status, did you find anything more about why the 36 doesnt qualify or is it just the gods of government decree it?

Post Likes
    It's been a few years, but the odd number outdoor units - 25, 37, 49 - Can achieve E Star with the proper indoor components. The even models cannot.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    The as advertised efficiency was both the 36 & 37 were up to 19 seer, 12.5 eer for the 36 and 13 eer for the 37. I couldn't find anything more detailed but that seems like a silly minimum standard to achieve Energy star status, did you find anything more about why the 36 doesnt qualify or is it just the gods of government decree it?
    One of them was slightly better in the numbers than the other, like .5.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Ask them for the AHRI# that shows this combination is an approved match and qualifies for any rebates.