Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    The condensation needs to be able to drain back to the furnace so it doesnt pool in the exhaust pipe. I can imagine removing an old metal flue pipe and changing it to abs is going to be equal to all the metal work that will be required to change furnace locations but maybe they charge way more for that where you live. Every manufacturer has very strict guidelines for running the exhaust flue and theres generally county or city code covering where it can protrude from and how close to windows etc. Your contractor SHOULD be handling all that, but it never hurts to double check their work. Trust thru verification. It's not typically a good idea to dump condensate on the ground under a house so find out what your contractor plans to do with this and check with the building code department in your town or county to make sure that's allowable

Post Likes
    I talked to another HVAC guy today that suggested no need for a modulating or two stage furnace based on only having one zone with the excess heat drifting up to the top floor. Would there be any benefit to a two-stage or modulating heater in my situation?

My plumbing for my home is all around the current furnace location. Could the condensate be plumbed into the ABS sewage line?

Post Likes
    comfort

Post Likes
    Youd have to ask the code dept for your town or county. I know lots of people with two story homes and two stage heat, heats just as well or better than a single stage which will be oversized 99% of time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    Youd have to ask the code dept for your town or county. I know lots of people with two story homes and two stage heat, heats just as well or better than a single stage which will be oversized 99% of time.
    Yep just had another guy look at my project. When I told him I calculated a need for a 60k btu furnace he suggested bigger without even looking at the whole home let alone doing any calculations.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
    I talked to another HVAC guy today that suggested no need for a modulating or two stage furnace based on only having one zone with the excess heat drifting up to the top floor. Would there be any benefit to a two-stage or modulating heater in my situation?

My plumbing for my home is all around the current furnace location. Could the condensate be plumbed into the ABS sewage line?
    I have the modulating Trane on my downstairs floor and love it. Slow heat is very nice when it’s cold, it will reduce the off cycle time. My upstairs has a 2 stage furnace, but I let the heat pump run until it gets extremely cold, which is below 28° here. I wish I would have installed the modulating upstairs as well. The 2 stage blasts heat too quickly.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I have the modulating Trane on my downstairs floor and love it. Slow heat is very nice when it’s cold, it will reduce the off cycle time. My upstairs has a 2 stage furnace, but I let the heat pump run until it gets extremely cold, which is below 28° here. I wish I would have installed the modulating upstairs as well. The 2 stage blasts heat too quickly.
    Thanks that's what I needed to hear. My first contractor just came back with a bid that included options for a single stage, 2 stage and a modulating furnace. The 2 stage addes $800, the modulating adds $1200. The prices are still about half the price of the first bid I got last year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12