Post Likes

Victory Coolers Freezing Up Weekly

I am a refrigeration tech for a small hospital and am stumped on an issue with two of my Victory units.
    For over a month now my "Grab and Go" display case and pass through refrigerator are freezing up. Both units are about 22 years old. I recently replaced the Evaporator in the passthrough and added electronic thermostats in both units. I have pressurized both to 500 PSIG nitrogen charge and found no leakage, cleaned all coils, cleaned all supply and return vents, cleaned all fan blades and went back to the sweat line charge method out of desperation. I also checked the room humidity and am hanging between 59 & 62%. As a last resort I considered the compressor valves, but my pressures are holding about 150 High and around 15-25 low on a room temperature case.
    None of the above has changed the outcome. Exactly 7 days later, I come into a frozen evaporator on each unit.
    Does anybody out there have any other ideas of what could be causing this? I am completely out of ideas.
    Thank you

Post Likes
    Do these things have doors, and if so are the gaskets in good shape and are the doors closing properly?

Once per week is someone propping the doors open for an extended time in order to load product in there or something? If so, is the product that they load into these things at room temperature or warmer?

Have you considered adding a defrost clock to them? Depending on what type of thermostat you've got you might be able to set that up to solve your problems by shoving the sensor into the coil and playing with the settings in order to turn it into a "constant cut in" type of control. The idea is to figure out what coil temperature you need to get down to in order to get the case temperature to reach 35 degrees or whatever you're going for. Set the cut-out at that temperature, then set the differential so that it won't cut back in 'till about 38-40 degrees. This ensures that the refrigeration will shut off when the coil starts to freeze up and won't turn back on again until the ice is melted. Easy-peasy.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    The reach through doors are warped and several requests for replacement have been denied. The display has sliders and is heavy use. I did consider both of these issues. The weekly freeze ups just started recently, which is why I wasn't totally sure that was the cause. I also considered the d- timer just before your response.
    Thank you

Post Likes
    Start using a A12-701 Constant Cut in control on the UC

Grab and goes are ambient RH and temperature sensitive