+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wrong Equipment

Post Likes

Wrong Equipment

I just discovered my girlfriend had a staight ac installed in her new house when it was contracted to be a Heat Pump? The house was built in 2017. Wouldn't the contractor be liable for huge energy savings loss, besides replacing equipment? I am a contractor my self and have never experienced this situation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drfreeze1 View Post
    I just discovered my girlfriend had a staight ac installed in her new house when it was contracted to be a Heat Pump? The house was built in 2017. Wouldn't the contractor be liable for huge energy savings loss, besides replacing equipment? I am a contractor my self and have never experienced this situation.
    What was done for heat during last winter?

Post Likes
    They installed an electric furnace. There was no way for her to know unless she was technically savy. The inspector even passed it as a heat pump. I have little faith in inspectors.

Post Likes
    Electric heat in the Air Handler for your heating system, or baseboard or a warm air furnace?

Certainly if you have electric heaters in the blower section, then yes that can get expensive, the reason where the Heat Pump would help offset that cost.

Chances they would only need to replace the OD section when ( whatever you decide to do ). Making sure the TXV ( if currently using a TXV metering device as opposed to a piston metering device ) would need to be Heat Pump rated.

Register the new OD Heat Pump unit. Get a matched system.

What state does she live in?

Post Likes
    Electric heat in the air handler which is a 1 to 1 ratio as far as efficiency. A heat pump could have as high as a 3 to 1 efficiency.

Post Likes
    Did she have a contract?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Laywer or try seeing if the contractor will make good

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes through the builder, who I spoke to last night. He verified it was suppose to be a heat pump. The only red flag I sensed was he seemed a little too calm.

Post Likes
    When you deal with problems all day long, there's little to get excited about.

Yes through the builder, who I spoke to last night. He verified it was suppose to be a heat pump. The only red flag I sensed was he seemed a little too calm.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Ask them to install a matched AHRI rated system, something like this as an example, see if his head explodes. Depending on SEER and HSPF, your girlfriends system may qualify for rebates.

Hopefully the existing system got registered initially as manufacturers warranty decreases significantly if never registered. California and Quebec systems need not be registered to receive full manufacturers warranty, other areas yes.

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Home/D...WXXrJVrAdcQcRl

Post Likes
    Yes she has been getting rebate from government already. I am sure they don't want to hear that there is potential fraud. As far as previous response goes I agree there are many decisions to make each day but this one would be on the top of the list to deal with asap. There could be legal ramifications, not to mention reputation of company which could cost even more.

Post Likes
    The builder doesn't care. Just one more fly to swat.

Yes she has been getting rebate from government already. I am sure they don't want to hear that there is potential fraud. As far as previous response goes I agree there are many decisions to make each day but this one would be on the top of the list to deal with asap. There could be legal ramifications, not to mention reputation of company which could cost even more.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes

Wrong Equipment

There could be an expiration for the mistake. I would bet this wasn’t done on purpose by the installer. They probably had a junior tech pick up the equipment from the supply house and they or the installer just assumed it as correct as per the contract, because it was probably ordered up by the office. They were possibly even billed for the unit they sold you if the mistake happened by the supply house. It is a fairly big mistake, sure, but the supply house has picked the wrong parts for me before and if I didn’t check them before leaving then I would have just assumed them to be correct, signed the packing slip, and been on my way. It’s humans that work the warehouse and they make mistakes also, we just need to do our best to catch them before it comes to a situation like you are in. At whatever point in the process the mistake happened there are a lot of humans that become involved within it and it could be lack of communication, a typo, or a host of other issues that lead to this situation. I’m not trying to provide excuses for them, just providing an alternative perspective on what could have possibly happened, and is more likely the cause.

Let them know the problem and see how they want to resolve the issue. No point getting worked up about anything until you have a response from them. They may be reasonable and help you get this all sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    I agree w/ thatguy

Post Likes
    OP, what is the model & brand of out door unit ? Let's make sure it is straight AC . What was the winter electric bills on average ?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in