Post Likes

Replace Evaporative coil or buy new unit?

So I have a 6 year old comfort pro n4h336cka200 outside and Fem4p3600at tempstar inside attic with evaporative coil leak. Assuming both are 3 ton and 14 seer, note sure though. Costs are about $ to replace coil all inclusive. New Goodman 3 ton 14 seer all inclusive. Any suggestions or preferences? Thanks all in advance for any advice. Unit is 6 years old I am leaning towards replacing coil to hopefully get a few more decently functioning years and I would be happy.

Admin removed pricing before validating first post

Post Likes
    Says the Air Handler is a 3 ton, your OD unit looks to be a 3 ton also.

If Air Handler was registered initially and your the original owner you should have a 10 year coil warranty. Certainly labor and associated parts are chargeable.

If the existing coil is out of warranty, I would lean on replacing the coil. May be a better match, as the OD unit looks to be a ICP brand also.

Your OD unit looks like it can reach “ up to 14 SEER “ , depending on indoor selection. Starting on page 41 for the 3 ton looks to show the SEER and EER ratings. Your unit may be newer as the numbers don’t match exactly. But it gives a general idea ( depending if you have a piston or TXV metering device )

Your unit looks to be a Coastal unit ( page 2 ) from reading the model number. Nothing wrong with that.

http://icpindexing.toddsit.com/docum...2811510201.pdf
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 10-10-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Post Likes
    Unless you've got a lot of other repairs into this system, I'd repair it, as long as your comfy and the utility bills are reasonable. What refrigerant is this using?

Post Likes
    Yes sir it is coastal NC so that makes sense. It wasn't registered unfortunately....huge bummer. Thank you for the quick and through response. Is there a way to search for coil prices for someone like me who is just a home owner?

Post Likes
    Had it filled with 3 lbs of refrigerant for $ to buy some time so it's fairly cheap and the newer stuff. Would have to check when I get home for specifics.
    Last edited by Dad; 10-10-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilmwaves View Post
    Had it filled with 3 lbs of refrigerant for $ to buy some time so it's fairly cheap and the newer stuff. Would have to check when I get home for specifics.
    I edited your first post by removing pricing.

I edited this post by removing pricing.

It is against the rules you agreed to by joining.

If there is a third time I will be forced to edit your account.

Thanks

Post Likes
    You could buy it online but your unlikely going to find someone that's any good to install it for you, and if theres a problem under the warranty(if it has a warranty they will honor) it's on you to pay the freight to send it back and deal with warranty paperwork. If you dont have a hvac contractor you like ask friends, family or employers who they recommend, online reviews are worthless. Skilled labor isn't cheap, cheap labor isn't skilled

Post Likes
    Roger that, appreciate the responses.

Post Likes
    Yes sir it is coastal NC so that makes sense. It wasn't registered unfortunately....huge bummer. Thank you for the quick and through response. Is there a way to search for coil prices for someone like me who is just a home owner?
    You can purchase it on line but like said finding someone qualified to install it is going to be tough. Just finding a qualified tech today is tough!

Has the leak been confirmed? Did you see it or the tech just said its in the coil!

Post Likes
    No he just said he found a leak in the back and it's leaking freon so he filled it back up and recomended new evap coil or new unit. It was filling up the pan with water and water sensor was cutting off so he said it was probably freezing up and spilling down when melting I believe.

Post Likes
    No he just said he found a leak in the back and it's leaking freon so he filled it back up and recomended new evap coil or new unit. It was filling up the pan with water and water sensor was cutting off so he said it was probably freezing up and spilling down when melting I believe.
    I would get a second opinion!

Post Likes
    Yeah I'm thinking about it also going with a different company to do the work so could get from them as well.