Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Take the Stat off the wall, make sure there are batteries in it, set it, and leave it where no one can touch it. The settings should not change. From your description, someone I messing with you.
    Doug

Post Likes
    pacnw, that looks exactly like my new thermostat. I have attached a picture of my thermostat.

Both the old and new thermostats are/were hardwired and I was told no batteries are necessary unless you're setting a program (in those that are programmable).
    I did not put batteries in the new unit. Could that conceivably have anything to do with this problem? There have not been any power outages or brownouts since installing the new thermostat.
    I will question everyone again tonight and consider putting a lock box around the thermostat. I don't want to call the contractor back until I've exhausted every possible solution. I really appreciate everyone who has responded.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie1 View Post
    pacnw, that looks exactly like my new thermostat. I have attached a picture of my thermostat.

Both the old and new thermostats are/were hardwired and I was told no batteries are necessary unless you're setting a program (in those that are programmable).
    I did not put batteries in the new unit. Could that conceivably have anything to do with this problem? There have not been any power outages or brownouts since installing the new thermostat.
    I will question everyone again tonight and consider putting a lock box around the thermostat. I don't want to call the contractor back until I've exhausted every possible solution. I really appreciate everyone who has responded.
    Batteries should ALWAYS be installed and checked for leak or replaced.

Batteries are NOT just for a program, which a 5000 is not capable of!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I still don’t see how the fan setting can change by itself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Batteries should ALWAYS be installed and checked for leak or replaced.

Batteries are NOT just for a program, which a 5000 is not capable of!!
    I will put batteries in and see what happens over the weekend. Last night it kept the setting all night as it should.

Post Likes
    Keep in mind that if you have programmed the stat for different periods, it also has the option for fan in auto or on in the program. Might check that...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Keep in mind that if you have programmed the stat for different periods, it also has the option for fan in auto or on in the program. Might check that...
    Wow

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    I didn't know that, but in any case, the new thermostat is not programmable. I called Honeywell and the guy said (as many of you said) that it was impossible for the thermostat to switch itself from auto to on. In the case of a compressor failure, it would be possible for the air handler's fan to come on in an attempt to cool the house, but in that case it would still indicate auto on the thermostat. The compressor is working as it should in any case. The only other thing the guy mentioned was the very remote possibility of a wire shorting out. I find this unlikely as the new thermostat ran for 3 weeks after installation without a hitch.

Post Likes
    Burn some sage, sprinkle holy water and bend nails into a U form and place them around the perimeter of the house with the open ends facing out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Burn some sage, sprinkle holy water and bend nails into a U form and place them around the perimeter of the house with the open ends facing out.
    Very good idea.It's been fine for 2 nights now. If it happens again, a lock box goes around the thermostat. If that doesn't work, I call Ghostbusters.

Post Likes
    Does it say "fan-on" or are you assuming it is on because the fan is blowing without the compressor running? Honeywell guy had a good observation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    Does it say "fan-on" or are you assuming it is on because the fan is blowing without the compressor running? Honeywell guy had a good observation.
    No it actually says "on" on the thermostat when that happens. It was fine last night, but early Sunday morning about 1:30 a.m. it switched from auto to on. I have ruled out manual touching of the thermostat by anyone. There must be a short somewhere, but if so, why does it go for several nights at a time without switching? I have a years' parts warranty left on the compressor and air handler so I think I'm going to ask American Standard to send someone to check the entire system from top to bottom. If they can't solve it, then I give up. With cold weather soon approaching, I can't have the system switch from (auto) heat to on (cold air) in the middle of the night.

Post Likes
    Well a compressor not starting-as Honeywell suggested- would not cause stat to change to "FAN-ON". Suggest to Honeywell to send stat in for diagnoses for a new stat. I don't see it and neither does anyone else. And to have two stats that are doing the same problem.... I suggest you put a camera on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast