Post Likes

Need opinion on Carrier Infinity 58MVC100 error

I'm getting an error 42 on my Carrier Infinity 58MVC100 which indicates "Inducer Motor Fault." The furnace 11 years old. Warranty was for 10 years. To replace the part will cost me around $. To replace the whole furnace will cost at least $. This is for my residence and I will not be doing the wet work. Is it worth the effort to just replace the inducer motor or is this a sign that the whole furnace will need to be replaced soon? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-09-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Post Likes
    Can’t tell if the furnace needs replaced without a combustion analysis while it is running with the new inducer installed. If it has been tested recently and maintenance performed regularly, you should be fine.

Post Likes
    There’s no reason to replace the furnace just because. At 11 years old it’s hasn’t come close to the end of its life yet.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    This MAY be in the secondary heat exchanger "issue" Carrier had.

That would make a HUGE difference in the decision of how to proceed.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    This MAY be in the secondary heat exchanger "issue" Carrier had.

That would make a HUGE difference in the decision of how to proceed.
    This is true, forgot all about that.
    The OPs model is on the list.

Name:  61EF28F9-825B-4F09-805B-86684F98E42D.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  311.8 KB
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    So... by my unit being on that list, is it true that I need to have a tech test if the secondary heat exchanger has a mechanical failure (crack) and have them replace the exchanger for free? Or does the whole furnace get replaced for free (stupid question)?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ayer1675 View Post
    So... by my unit being on that list, is it true that I need to have a tech test if the secondary heat exchanger has a mechanical failure (crack) and have them replace the exchanger for free? Or does the whole furnace get replaced for free (stupid question)?
    First, there is a serial number range. With that said, this "program" may be over.

Second, YES get it checked professionally!!! Even if it is out of range or no "program" is in effect. Carrier has a specific form to fill out/follow.

Third, depending on 1 & 2, make your decision based on the information provided by the contractor. If they are NOT a Carrier contractor, they may know nothing about this. Carrier may NOT deal with them, either. May be better off to find a Carrier approved company to do this.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    As with all failed heat exchangers if they are under warranty, only the part is covered, not labor. If you have a company you trust have them do some visuals and run the serial number. If it comes out ok looking you can roll the dice and change the inducer and have a combustion test performed after the motor is installed. If your furnace is on the list I probably wouldn't recommend putting in all that labor