Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Did I mention that my loaded truck weighs 16,500 lbs

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    I have the ford 6 with eco-boost or some garbage. It struggles with the freeway on ramp. Iowa hills arent too bad so I don’t notice it there. I drive a lot of miles on the interstate so after I (finally) get up to speed, it isnt too bad. Since I am not paying the gas bill, I would prefer the 8.
    Is that a van? You sure you have a Ecoboost? My normal V6 Ford van does good get up and go. The Ecoboost version is a monster on paper compared to mine.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chander View Post
    I have the 350 ford Transit, it is the high top long box and I do keep it loaded. It has the standard v-6 , this has a six speed transmission.
    I am very happy with the power it has, they get the power from the gearing and transmission. This has more power than my 350 powered Chevy.
    The gas mileage is 13 to 15 MPG, but this is what I am normally accustomed to with my vehicles. I do tow a scissor lift at time with this and a feature that the Transit has is engine braking when towing, something is normally available only with diesels.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
    They switched to 10 gears on the new model

Post Likes
    And if I'm not mistaken the 10-speed was mainly designed by Chevy.
    Edit
    Chevy's 10-speed is Ford designed I had it totally backwards. Chevy designed a front-wheel drive 9-speed and Ford removes one gear to make it an eight-speed and uses it in their cars.

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R600a; 10-09-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: I was wrong.

Post Likes
    I am on my third Mercedes Sprinter, it averages 19MPG and I will never buy anything else.

Post Likes
    Is that a diesel?

Post Likes
    Yes, V6 turbo diesel. But they sell them in the gas version now, and they're built in North Charleston, South Carolina.

Post Likes
    20 years ago mercedes was known for spending more time in the garage than on the road ..... has that changed ?

9. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes

New service van 6 or 8 cylinder??

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    20 years ago mercedes was known for spending more time in the garage than on the road ..... has that changed ?
    Not with the 2013 that I had for 2 years. Fuel pump, turbo, transmission. 22k miles. Tires also. And it SUCKED in the snow. I actually have a video on my phone somewhere of the transmission slipping. Also the blower motor. Btw we bought the Maintenance plan with it also. Made them take it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    I think i will stick with my chevy since i got at 210,000 miles and the only repair i had to do in the last 40,000 miles was replace the transmission. Although i have done a few other repairs but all of them were done well before they were needed.
    It would take a lot better mileage to pay for the added repairs.
    I get 15 mpg and i figured that if i get a diesel it would have to get over 25mpg to break even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    Not with the 2013 that I had for 2 years. Fuel pump, turbo, transmission. 22k miles. Tires also. And it SUCKED in the snow. I actually have a video on my phone somewhere of the transmission slipping. Also the blower motor. Btw we bought the Maintenance plan with it also. Made them take it back.

13. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Speaking of vans...
    My current one was purchased a while back, used, with about 20K on it... got it for a little more than half what a new one would cost.
    We have put well over 30K miles on it... and it finally needs some maintenance and repairs:
    Chevy has these 'hubs' instead of front wheel bearings... they cost around $200/each... need one...
    Front and rear brakes... the factory brakes lasted well over 50K miles, on a van that is fully loaded and within 1000# of max rated weight.
    And we prefer to do the trans service (fluid/filter change) every 25K...

Given we have driven that van well over 30K miles without anything other than oil changes...
    IMO the Chevy has been reliable and cheap to operate.

The point of the post:
    IMO one needs to include service and repair costs in the choice of a vehicle...
    Looking only at mileage... is, IMO, not seeing the larger picture...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

15. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Speaking of vans...
    My current one was purchased a while back, used, with about 20K on it... got it for a little more than half what a new one would cost.
    We have put well over 30K miles on it... and it finally needs some maintenance and repairs:
    Chevy has these 'hubs' instead of front wheel bearings... they cost around $200/each... need one...
    Front and rear brakes... the factory brakes lasted well over 50K miles, on a van that is fully loaded and within 1000# of max rated weight.

Given we have driven that van well over 30K miles without anything other than oil changes...

The point of the post:
    Absolutely

Post Likes
    Eggzactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Speaking of vans...

The point of the post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast