Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Seems like low miles for a chevy to need hubs. Of course i guess it depends on your road conditions.
    I had my "work van" (aka tahoe) alignment adjusted the other day and the technician told me that if i ever un load my tools i will have to have it realigned. I guess i like having everything with me a bit too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Speaking of vans...
    My current one was purchased a while back, used, with about 20K on it... got it for a little more than half what a new one would cost.
    We have put well over 30K miles on it... and it finally needs some maintenance and repairs:
    Chevy has these 'hubs' instead of front wheel bearings... they cost around $200/each... need one...
    Front and rear brakes... the factory brakes lasted well over 50K miles, on a van that is fully loaded and within 1000# of max rated weight.
    And we prefer to do the trans service (fluid/filter change) every 25K...

Given we have driven that van well over 30K miles without anything other than oil changes...
    IMO the Chevy has been reliable and cheap to operate.

The point of the post:
    IMO one needs to include service and repair costs in the choice of a vehicle...
    Looking only at mileage... is, IMO, not seeing the larger picture...
    Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I prefer to get my vehicles when they are already through the break in period. You know around 200,000 miles.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Seems like low miles for a chevy to need hubs. Of course i guess it depends on your road conditions.
    I had my "work van" (aka tahoe) alignment adjusted the other day and the technician told me that if i ever un load my tools i will have to have it realigned. I guess i like having everything with me a bit too much.

Yeah... I thought so also... however had multiple diagnosis (free)... so I guess it needs to be done...

Same here on the tools... get a new van... load it up... re-set the front end alignment...
    Then leave it loaded.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Maybe try a savannah with the 2.8l diesel engine if you want MPG, i have the 6.6 diesel it so fun to drive 400 ish hp and 910 ft/pound torque and i do around 18-19 mpg on highway with my tool but it a 4wd crewcab pickup with fiber glass tool box if you have service van im sure it will be way lower.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionix86 View Post
    Maybe try a savannah with the 2.8l diesel engine if you want MPG, i have the 6.6 diesel it so fun to drive 400 ish hp and 910 ft/pound torque and i do around 18-19 mpg on highway with my tool but it a 4wd crewcab pickup with fiber glass tool box if you have service van im sure it will be way lower.
    The BabyMax 2.8 is the only turbo diesel offered in the van platform now, the 6.6 Duramax in the vans was discontinued.
    You are correct that when it was offered the output was lower. Due to engine packaging and the transmission.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    20 years ago mercedes was known for spending more time in the garage than on the road ..... has that changed ?
    I can answer for myself, none of my Sprinters have been towed or spent time in the shop broke down. With that said, I had a friend that did some pretty stupid things to his, and blamed it on the Sprinter.

Post Likes
    Ahh yes .... a little shot of propane wakes them up a wee bit

8. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    In 40 years in my own business I have had 5 vehicles.
    1- An old rusted Cadillac Coupe-de-Ville. Loaned to me by my Dad. It seemed to burn more oil then gas. My Buddies called it a "Polish Porche" as my last name ends in "ski".
    2-An old GMC 1500 Utility Body Pick-Up w/ split rim tires.
    3-A used 3 year old GMC 2500 step-in box truck. 10'
    4-A 2 year old "left-over" Chevy 3500 step-in box truck.12' w/ attic
    5-A brand new(custom ordered) 450 Ford step-in box,15' w/ attic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234