Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Local 250 is straightline Fitters, there's no Plumbers in that Local.
    There's a PTO Fund for Local 250 Service.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Anything to cover lost work days due to power outage lol.

Smelling $/kwh costs to match $/gal gas cost there in the near future.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Not in reality. No trsvel $$.

Post Likes
    CA, you work like a dog to rent your tiny home unless your a native from 20+ yrs back. Welcome to CA. If that area is your thing, more power to you. If not, why stick around?

Changed locations several times chasing better opportunities. Its not easy to leave your home town. If your home town only has BS opportunities, its deal with it or move on. Take your pick.

One thing is sure, I wouldn't give that local a $0.10/yr for what they are doing.

Post Likes
    Interesting - 30 days PTO is nice, but on the other hand to be able to take time off as wanted without pay...Ok pay me more so I can bank it and then choose how much time I want off.

Been in situations where I wanted time off without pay since PTO was used up, wasn't allowed and job was threatened if I did such.

Sounds like what you have in Germany is far too unlikely to get in North America...but you miss things about Canada....such is life, pick your poison. You have to determine what is most important to you. What you've said though definitely makes Europe appealing, but then again I like knowing I can afford my own place and not be stuffed in an apartment/tight housing complex.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Well unlimited Unpaid Time Off for non-PTO-provided workers is not accurate either. Neither the Local Agreement or the current Schedule A list any PTO, but you can't take unlimited time off either. We still have to follow guidelines as to requesting time off.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timgkelly View Post
    Servus,
    I don't think I can work for anyone in Canada anymore. Ive been a bit spoiled in Germany with a really nice company car (to use as I please), 30 days paid vacation, a dozen or so national holidays, all tools supplied from the employer and all the normal benifets you get for working. I'm expected to bill 38-40hrs per week max. I can do programming at home and I can see my kid every night. I don't want to go back to the 55-60 hour weeks, 2 weeks vacation, can only take the company car from home to the job site, have to pay for your own benifits etc...
    Tschau,
    Tim
    About the only way you get anything even close to that in USA is working for the Government. Except the Co. car civil service is close.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    Been in situations where I wanted time off without pay since PTO was used up, wasn't allowed and job was threatened if I did such.
    Agree pay vs PTO. That said, I haven't ever worked at a shop that prevented me from time off, be it PTO or unpaid. Don't normally take time off in the peak of the work season, but never have been stopped from doing so. If I really wanted to take 30 days and had vaca + used unpaid, wouldn't have much push back unless it was in the busiest time of the year. Frankly I have a hard time being away from "home" much more than 10 days, so not something I would do anyway. 30 days over a year, yep would use it if I had it. I do occasionally take unpaid off time if I run out of PTO and its not a problem.

30 days PTO sounds great, but again one has to weigh the total cost of living and wages. If one can only rent, might as well be burning that money. What's the tax rate, utilities, fuel, tolls, etc?

Post Likes
    I'm kinda shocked to how many people I work around have not taken a day off in years.

Post Likes
    30 days off! That would be nice. I'm also in a union, and we get no paid holidays, or vacation. You have a vacation account that is deducted from the check and then is posted monthly that you can withdraw your own money back out. I was non union for 11 years so this is an odd way of doing things for sure. It works out to about a weeks paid vacation if you do the math. Also if your able to negotiate with your employer, paid vacation from them is very possible. Trust me! I use to take 2 weeks a year, and with my work load no time is a good time to go. But for sanity reasons, and the well being of people around me I'm taking almost 3 weeks this year. Maui was awesome as always, and in about 2 weeks I will be in a tent a 6000 feet in remote Idaho looking for the elusive mule deer ,and elk species!

Post Likes
    I get 160 hours off vacation,and 40 hours sick. Total 5 weeks PTO, you get that at the 10 year mark.

Only travel a handful of times a year and I'm on the service side so I maintain new and old, including software. Do the one-off jobs that takes more time than usual so the install crew can plow through their bigger jobs.

The typical few weeks before school starts with 'all hands on deck' but after that you pretty much work 40-50 hours a week unless you want more and go work on the install side and get your OT.

Downside is here it is more like "Here is a box of parts, prints, and an address..." You've got to have initiative here or you won't last.

Were a private, non-corporate dealer so were more laid back. You could work for us if you want to move to the Dallas/Ft.Worth area.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    I don't know if I've ever taken more than 3 or 4 'business' days off in a row without responding to emails/phone calls in my working career.

Agreed on not wanting to make it too difficult on employer/customer.

Job a number of years back had almost 2 months of PTO when I left, thankfully they paid it. Not a fan of use it or lose it, did like one that would let you cash it out, especially when I was younger, now being able to have more time off is more important.

X - sounds like a pretty good gig, I like the need to have initiative, not a fan of working with guys that just wait for specific directions/need extra babysitting.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Now that I think about it more, if we are talking all PTO...

Would have to add up my sick time, paid holidays, and normal vaca time. Prob not far off from 30 days. The miserable state I work in, don't live in, mandates a certain amount of sick time. Past employers also had more or less the same amount of time, but it wasn't law with specific conditions you can use it. Never been hassled on how I use sick time here, normally its tossed unused. Some shady employer sure could make it a PITA to use under this specific useless mandate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12