Post Likes

New YJ 69020 Vacuum Gauge Don't Hold When Valved Off.

I just picked up a YJ 69020 Vacuum Gauge and was showing one of the plant operators how it works.. I noticed that when the pump is connected I can get it to pull down to 5 microns. But when you valve off the pump it gets up above 500 microns in 3.5 minuets and up above 3000 microns in 45 minuets.

I have used my Fluke Pressure Calibrator to pressure test it and it does not leak under pressure but it will not hold a deep vacuum when valved off. I even thought the pump valve was leaking so I went and got a brand new core remover to use a valve and still no go...

I got it on the pump right now attempting to let it run for an hour then will test again, I'm wondering if I am pulling moisture out of the rubber in the seal of the flair fitting. I just cant believe this thing got a leak but will hold 300 psi pressure and not budge!

Here is a link to a video of me valving it off and the sprint up to 500 Microns.
    Samuel D. Rock

Post Likes
    That is not enough volume to test that guage , you could leak in the minutest bit of air and it would jump to 500. Everything leaks to some degree so no matter how well you seal it it will leak at some molecular level. Test your micron gauge on a recovery tank you'll probably find that it works just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    That is not enough volume to test that guage , you could leak in the minutest bit of air and it would jump to 500. Everything leaks to some degree so no matter how well you seal it it will leak at some molecular level. Test your micron gauge on a recovery tank you'll probably find that it works just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    You know I was thinking it may be a volume issue.. I don't know that I ever attempted to connect a vacuum gauge right to the pump and do a hold test before.. It just through me for a loop when it shot up above 500 so quick..
    Samuel D. Rock

4. Likes icy78 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Rock View Post
    You know I was thinking it may be a volume issue.. I don't know that I ever attempted to connect a vacuum gauge right to the pump and do a hold test before.. It just through me for a loop when it shot up above 500 so quick..
    That is not the best way to test a micron gauge.

Get a recovery tank to test it on.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop