Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

How many calls you running today?

Running 7 calls. Lots of residential maintenance. Commercial diagnostics.

1/2hr drive in-between calls. Don't have time to take lunch or I'm late and customers are angry. I run and work as fast as I can.

How the hell am I supposed to get this done in 8hrs?

What's everyone daily call volume?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Something doesn't add up. 7 calls w/ 1/2 hr drive? Thats 3 1/2 hrs just driving. What do you do or what do you not do for a res routine? And a Comm diagnosis to boot!!!! Something is not right.

3. Likes Metalman0880, CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    3 scheduled. Emergencies to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    There is more than 8 hours in a day. I inform the customer we will be there on premium time. Most will usually wait until the next day unless it is truly an emergency.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    I never took a lunch unless I was forced to, If I was forced to I knew it was slow and they were waiting for something to come in. Plenty of time to eat between calls it seems.

Your boss is encouraging you to race through your calls whether they realize it or not. That isn't good for the customer you or them either.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Plenty of times I've gone without lunch but as you get older and hopefully wiser you learn the food and break is needed.

Besides your employer is deduction the time anyway

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Something doesn't add up. 7 calls w/ 1/2 hr drive? Thats 3 1/2 hrs just driving. What do you do or what do you not do for a res routine? And a Comm diagnosis to boot!!!! Something is not right.
    Heh... try telling that to my office. Not uncommon to be sent 35 minutes out of the way to look at a ‘no A/C’ issue for a retailer with 10 RTUs and nobody can tell me what the problem is all for the same flat rate diagnostic fee we use for residential, and I only have 1-1/2 hours to work on it because Ms. Jones needs her annual tune-up 35 minutes back the other way.

Or one I had last week: get sent out to give a commercial PM estimate for a bar that’s located in the same building as a hotel and other retailers. Only 30 minutes to do it on my schedule. Get there to find there’s 100 units for the hotel rooms, a huge 25-ton RTU, several VRF systems, and two cooling towers - nobody has any clue what belongs to who and I sure as heck don’t have the time to figure it out.

9. Likes BALloyd, joemach liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Plenty of times I've gone without lunch but as you get older and hopefully wiser you learn the food and break is needed.

Besides your employer is deduction the time anyway
    A worker should keep track of their timesheets for at least 3 years. If a boss is illegally docking for lunch one should bring it up and work it out. If they continue to dock you unlawfully they probably aren't worth working for.

Under federal law, an employer can deduct time for lunch only if the employee has a lunch break of at least 30 minutes and has no work duties during that time.

I believe first offense can go back for 2 years and subsequent offenses can go back 3 years.

Post Likes
    One job per day, that's it and everything is great.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Heh... try telling that to my office. Not uncommon to be sent 35 minutes out of the way to look at a ‘no A/C’ issue for a retailer with 10 RTUs and nobody can tell me what the problem is all for the same flat rate diagnostic fee we use for residential, and I only have 1-1/2 hours to work on it because Ms. Jones needs her annual tune-up 35 minutes back the other way.

Or one I had last week: get sent out to give a commercial PM estimate for a bar that’s located in the same building as a hotel and other retailers. Only 30 minutes to do it on my schedule. Get there to find there’s 100 units for the hotel rooms, a huge 25-ton RTU, several VRF systems, and two cooling towers - nobody has any clue what belongs to who and I sure as heck don’t have the time to figure it out.
    Your office probably wasn’t aware of that when they sent you to scope out the proposal. They should have asked better questions when they took the call so they could have anticipated the duration required to gather the details.

Finding out that information once on site you should call your office and inform them of the situation, then ask them if they would like you to stay and complete the job or come back later when there is enough time in the day to gather the required information. Put that decision on them so you aren’t rushing through job and underestimating the work.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 503 Hvac View Post
    Running 7 calls. Lots of residential maintenance. Commercial diagnostics.

1/2hr drive in-between calls. Don't have time to take lunch or I'm late and customers are angry. I run and work as fast as I can.

How the hell am I supposed to get this done in 8hrs?

What's everyone daily call volume?

If your dispatcher is expecting you to get that all done in one day at regular time then their expectations are too high and their standards on acceptable quality of work is probably too low. Is it possible they are giving you that work and expecting you to schedule it yourself as you progress through the next couple or few days?

You may want to ask the dispatcher if they need all the calls done that day of if there are certain ones that can wait until another day. If they need to all get done that day them bill your overtime accordingly and let the customers know that they will be billed overtime rates once you hit that point. I find with residential once the customer finds out that the time will be billed out as overtime then their emergency suddenly isn’t an emergency anymore and can wait until your next available opening.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes

How many calls you running today?

We're dispatched via a service titan like app and rarely talk to the office. If they see a slot they fill it. Everyone is getting run hard.

Residential gas furnace maintenance consists of:
    Clean burner, flame sensor and orifices
    Flush condensate if applicable
    Check Delta
    Inspect thermostat
    Vacuum/wipe down furnace
    Change air filter/ clean eac
    Test operation
    Check for CO

Usually takes me 45mins on high efficiency, 30 minutes on 80%
    For charging $150+ per peice of equipment I feel like this is the minimum time required onsite. Don't usually check gas pressures. Only scope heat exchanger if I see flame flicker when blower comes on. Never once have done combustion analysis.

A/c about the same time, 45 mins. 1:15-1:30 for full system maintenance.

How does everyone else compare? Are union shops slower paced and more quality forcused?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 503 Hvac View Post
    We're dispatched via a service titan like app and rarely talk to the office. If they see a slot they fill it. Everyone is getting run hard.

Residential gas furnace maintenance consists of:
    Clean burner, flame sensor and orifices
    Flush condensate if applicable
    Check Delta
    Inspect thermostat
    Vacuum/wipe down furnace
    Change air filter/ clean eac
    Test operation
    Check for CO

Usually takes me 45mins on high efficiency, 30 minutes on 80%
    For charging $150+ per peice of equipment I feel like this is the minimum time required onsite. Don't usually check gas pressures. Only scope heat exchanger if I see flame flicker when blower comes on. Never once have done combustion analysis.

A/c about the same time, 45 mins. 1:15-1:30 for full system maintenance.

How does everyone else compare? Are union shops slower paced and more quality forcused?

You say you check for CO but haven't done a combustion analysis. Do you just check the ambient air?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast