Post Likes

YCIV Flash tank levels

Hi everyone,

Got two YCIV chillers on a site, one is a 1380, the other 1180 and both got 3 systems.
    The 1180 chiller is running all 3 systems. The flash tank level on sys 1 is 0.8%, sys 2 4.9% and sys 3 26%.
    Feed valve on sys 1 and 2 is at 100% and sys 3 at 26%
    The chiller is on low load 50 Hz.
    Drain valves functioning normally.

The 1380 chiller has the same issue.
    Flash tank level on sys 1 34.8%, sys 2 29.9% and sys 3 0.1%
    All three feed valves are at 100%
    This chiller was running at 60 Hz.

Suction super-heat on both chillers is very normal, 5.2 to 6.2 DegC across all systems.

According to site engineers there has been no issues with the chillers.

Am I looking at three to four level sensors gone bad?
    Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    There is a service bulletin for level sensor calibration.
    I dont get to hung up on level percentages unless suction superheat or discharge superheat way out of range.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    you can't check the level unless the chiller is running 100% loaded for about 20 minutes or so.

34% should be in the glass. if you're reading low levels and you have liquid in the glass, you may have a level sensor problem. If you actually have those low levels, and you're running loaded, you may have other problems.

I like to see the feed and drain valves in the 40%-70% range at 100% load.

Post Likes
    10 deg normal SSH target but unloaded (50-60hz) it will be hard to determine an issue. I would assume if the intermediate stage activated your issue, if any, would arise.

Post Likes
    Turn off the other systems to load up the one running compressor and see if starts to fill the flash tank. Let that system get stable for 10-15 minutes to determine what is going on. Do that for each system even the ones that had levels in their tanks.
    Water flows or rapidly changing load could cause the issue you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It could be your economizer solenoid valve is stuck open or energised , it should become active above 120 he and shut off below 90 hz . You should also see about 6-10 F subcoolling at condenser outlet , maybe you are running low on refrigerant charge
    I would try running each system at full load and see how readings are then , do one system at a time while others are switched off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hey guys, apologies for the long delay in reply.
    OK the update is, there is no update, I haven't had as chance to get back to the site.

I will do in a couple of weeks to do some work on another chiller so I might get a chance to look at these YCIV's then.

This time of year, there is absolutely no load worth talking about. They are also pretty sticky about turning off systems or chillers. Called the site engineer today and he tells me there is no problem with the chillers at all..

For now, i will put this on the to do pile.

Post Likes
    I always love when they say “we’ve had zero problems, everything is running great!”

When you know full well, the sh!t is gonna hit the fan when they actually need the machines, and haven’t approved any repair recommendations you’ve made....cause, hey, they’re running great, and don’t need anything fixed! LOL!!

Brings back the saying: a lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part!