+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5f60 Carlyle compressor issue with oil pressure

Post Likes

5f60 Carlyle compressor issue with oil pressure

So im having this issue with a new Carlyle 5f60 compressor i just installed. when i start the compressor; the oil pressure and control oil pressure is matching the suction pressure all the way down to 0psi and tripping off on low oil pressure. Now i'll admit its been a while since ive last dealt with these type of compressors. any idea on what can make it do that?

Post Likes
    Is the motor spinning the ‘right’ rotation? Else try to spin the oil pump cover 180 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You might make sure that the oil relief valve is not stuck open.

Here's a link for information on the 5F/5H Compressors. Click on the Documents tab.

https://www.carrier.com/marine-offsh...ompressors/5h/

Post Likes
    Looking at the oil pump end of the compressor the oil pump cover is right in the center. The top of the cover has an arrow cast into it indicating the rotation required for the pump to operate. From the factory this rotation should be counter clockwise. Check the pump cover arrow first. If this is correct then the problem is with the pump itself. My guess is that the pump driveshaft tang sheared off on start up. These pumps require about .001 to .0015 to operate and if you accidentally hit the pump cover during installation then you may have reduced the clearance which seized the pump. If this is the case then a new pump is required. If the pump bushing is scored then that will need to be replaced as well. The clearances are CRITICAL when installing the new pump, be careful,

Post Likes
    it may have possibly be bumped during shipment and storage. i work on ships so i can definitely see that happening. before i rebuild the oil pump; i just noticed the crankcase heater is not heating like it should. the heater is self is pretty hot but the rest of the crankcase is not hot to the touch at all. can this possibly cause the lack of oil pressure?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Yared Kidane View Post
    it may have possibly be bumped during shipment and storage. i work on ships so i can definitely see that happening. before i rebuild the oil pump; i just noticed the crankcase heater is not heating like it should. the heater is self is pretty hot but the rest of the crankcase is not hot to the touch at all. can this possibly cause the lack of oil pressure?
    Probably not. Check the rotation then pull the pump.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in