+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Church Boiler Install

Post Likes

Church Boiler Install

Just about finished up with this job. Pulled out an old American Standard 1.5 million BTU boiler. Sized everything and went back with 2 boilers. Front one is 750,000 BTU, rear is 500,000 BTU. The old system was running off pneumatic controls and most of it was bypassed. Installed a Tekmar 261 2 Stage set up for lead and lag w/ rotation running the house pump. 1 common WiFi thermostat for the system now. New expansion tank up in the ceiling also. 72” x 24”. Per the MFG we could reduce the flue pipe size on both for direct vent with Stainless Duravent. Also replaced the kitchen HWT 75 Gallon and Potable HWT 40 Gallon with powervent. Ditched the steel recirc pump and replaced with a bronze and iso flanges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes dbacmc, GoCougs, Jettinvr6sc, lzenglish liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Nice looking job.
    I like the P/S although I'm just not a fan of a ball valve for the bypass on the boiler protection-despite what the manual says.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

4. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yessir. Very nice. Way to keep em straight looks great man. That’s a serious expansion tank too. I like the speed and look of the joint with propress. But when you get into bigger stuff it seems to have a mind of its own when pressing it. I can make my sweat joints straight like that but do you have trouble keeping pipe spreads/ level/plumb when your pressing it too?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pres1227 View Post
    Yessir. Very nice. Way to keep em straight looks great man. That’s a serious expansion tank too. I like the speed and look of the joint with propress. But when you get into bigger stuff it seems to have a mind of its own when pressing it. I can make my sweat joints straight like that but do you have trouble keeping pipe spreads/ level/plumb when your pressing it too?
    With the bigger pipe, normally you always have a second pair of hands there and it pays off having them. One guy holding the pipe and level and the other one presses. Usually get 4-5 joints ready to go and press them all at once.

I do remember when we got our first pro press and could of never imagined pressing an entire job. Times change. Only 3 joints on that entire job are sweat. Just a 3”x2” red coupl on the building return main. Everything else was thread or press. Besides a couple flanges needing adjusting no leaks.

My Milwaukee pro press died during the job sent that off for repairs and luckily we just replaced an older RP330 with the new RP340. That thing presses 2” quick. Have a steam job coming up and will be mega pressing some 4” black iron. That should be fun.

Post Likes
    Nice. Never thought of using mega press for steam. We always just threaded our own. Will megapress flex like a swingjoint? For expansion/contraction?

Post Likes
    All of that piping will be threaded. We’re just making the final connection in megapress that’s the plan anyways. We will see when it gets that far. But I’ve used megapress quite a bit on steam with no issues thus far. We can thread up to 4” in house but the amount of time it takes back and forth kills ya.

Post Likes
    No flex on the Pump at the unit?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwing21 View Post
    No flex on the Pump at the unit?
    I don’t follow what your referring to?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    I don’t follow what your referring to?

Looks like you have a 2in Inline Pump connected directly to the Boiler.....Normally would have a braided flex connection for ani-vibration

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwing21 View Post
    Looks like you have a 2in Inline Pump connected directly to the Boiler.....Normally would have a braided flex connection for ani-vibration
    There is a 2” steel nipple coming out of the boiler to a flange, then pump, then flange, then male adapter. I fail to see the need for a 2” flex line. The MFG dose not recommend nor require such fitting.

I do understand thermal dynamics along with that pipe expanding and contracting with hot and cold. But in this particular set of circumstances it was not needed or implied by the mfg to be necessary.

Not trying to come off as sarcastic, if you know something I don’t or have a valid reason I’m all ears to learn something.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    There is a 2” steel nipple coming out of the boiler to a flange, then pump, then flange, then male adapter. I fail to see the need for a 2” flex line. The MFG dose not recommend nor require such fitting.

I do understand thermal dynamics along with that pipe expanding and contracting with hot and cold. But in this particular set of circumstances it was not needed or implied by the mfg to be necessary.

Not trying to come off as sarcastic, if you know something I don’t or have a valid reason I’m all ears to learn something.

Me either, up here anything over 1 1/2” connected close to the Boiler like that, we would add a Flex in there for any vibration. No biggie either way, was just a question.....

Post Likes
    No problem. Honestly I thought you were implying something I wasn’t catching onto.

Post Likes
    I honestly don’t have the slightest clue as to what I am looking at. South Florida tech, never seen a boiler before.

But the pipe work looks amazing!!!
    How long did it take to install all of it?

Post Likes
    Is that a proper pitch for the venting?

Post Likes
    According to the mfg they want flue piping to pitch away from the appliance. Boilers are 85%.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    I honestly don’t have the slightest clue as to what I am looking at. South Florida tech, never seen a boiler before.

But the pipe work looks amazing!!!
    How long did it take to install all of it?
    About a week including demo of old boiler.

Post Likes
    "Beautiful Work"!

20. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in