+ Reply to Thread

Thread: synchronous belt and sprocket conversion on air handler

Post Likes

synchronous belt and sprocket conversion on air handler

Recently I was tasked with helping on a weekend for a supposed sheave change that turned out to be a whole lot more. Being as the intended outcome is energy savings is why I post here.
    On an 18 year old 5) C V belt sheaves and belt drive with VFD drive. The sprockets supplied to us had no flange and no tensioners existed to retain the belt, and the motor carriage has only one bolt for adjustment with four cornered retainment bolts on the motor.
    Yippee. We had no laser and the system hasn't been accurately balanced in years and I couldn't get the belt not to walk off the sprocket. I failed and can not see this working without superb balancing and dead accurate alignment.
    The smart guys came Sunday with lasers and got it to stay somewhat. Monday they adjusted down to the 5/1000th according to the tech I helped and still it will not ride comfortably centered and not change in a few hours.
    Anyone else been doing these?

Post Likes
    I doubt I would have any experience to input anything helpful but would like to see pictures if you got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    A salesman from Trane showed up in our account and try to talk our customer to convert their AHU to synchronous belts promising all sort of energy savings, the AHU's already have VFD's and cogged belts, we told the client to challenge Trane to produce any evidence of savings and 3 local references, they did not hear from Trane again.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Heres a link to abb just scroll down to literature HT500 drive system. Supposed to be 98% efficient. Something has to be moving like motor or blower bearings have excessive play. Base of the motor blower not stiff enough flexing. Never played with this drive system.

Post Likes
    Why would these sprockets run with no shoulders? to me that seems like just setting it up for failure. I realize alignment is critical, as is structural stiffness, but no shoulder just seems doomed to failure. I'm very curious to hear anything about this since this idea has been floated for my buildings since I have multiple units that need sheave replacement anyway and we are getting down to the small stuff in our energy program.

Post Likes
    Have you talked to the local rep or called the factory tech? Have you checked alignment with a string and with the belt under tension because theirs play in bearings.

Post Likes
    Did you check for a bent shaft?
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in