Thread: water balancing

Post Likes

water balancing

On another thread I mentioned a project I had with hundreds of exhaust and make up air grilles and the struggle to balance them to 25 cfm each ( which was impossible to do ) . This same project had about 550 chilled water fan coils with Bell & Gossett circuit setters with 2-way control valves . These are two 6 story buildings and the chilled water mains enter each building on the 1st floor and approx. 20 risers serve floors 2 through 6 . Upon beginning the water balance we drove all the valves to full open and read the main flow to each building with our ultrasonic flow meter , the flow was about 10% high so we carried on . We visited the first couple of risers and determined there were no circuit setters for the risers . When we contacted the mechanical contractor he informed us that there were no circuit setters on the risers as each fan coil had one . " Go ahead and use the fan coils circuit setters , that's what they are for " he said . I told him that you would never install a duct system with hundreds of grilles and only have dampers on the grilles , you really need branch dampers . Bottom line is I refused to attempt to balance the system and they refused to install the circuit setters for the branches . The lesson here is ( I hope ) sometimes we feel obligated to make the system work no matter what is handed to us , sometimes its ok to say no . The older I get the more often I say no .

Post Likes
    Yep, nuts to that.

If they piped the risers reverse return, you could almost get away with balancing just the risers.

I imagine balancing that system would be possible, but it would not last very long.

The first zone valve failure, and the repair would likely yield a wide open balance valve by the time the repair is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    agree 100% ^^^^. I led them in the direction that with all 2-way valves we would just let the control valves dictate where the water went . There is no way I would even attempt to set all those circuit setters without riser circuit setters .