Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880
    I’ll say this. I hold myself along with all our employees to a high standard. If I had people installing stuff like this one of a few things would happen:
    1) they would be back there fixing that correctly
    2) they would be terminated after fixing it
    3) if they didn’t fix it I’d just fire them
    4) if the boss wouldn’t let me fire them I’d walk

We all know help is tough, but it’s not worth keeping someone as an extra pair of hands with THAT kind of bs.
    I can understand the frustration when this happens but finding that kind of work and knowing who did it gives an excellent opportunity to teach them how to do it proper and explain to them why. If you were to always fire someone when they make mistakes then you will always be hiring the new guy who will make the same mistakes that the last guy made, and giving the guys that have just been taught a good lesson to your competitors. If you teach them to take pride in their work, show them the art of the trade, and train them to be good techs then you can form that tech into a great asset to the company.
    I partially agree with Metalman0880 and with thatguy. I have some questions for you guys (and any other veterans reading this).

What I would want to know is whether the tech:
    (A) just made a mistake and didn't know better, or
    (B) intentionally did a crappy job (so knew better but chose not to do what he knew how to do).

If #A, he has low skill but he's honest so he can learn and become high skill in the near future.

If #B, he has high skill but doesn't use it cuz he's dishonest, and his dishonesty prevents him from doing a good job and from improving his skill (there's tons of other problems with dishonesty too).

So, is it feasible to judge from the pictures in the OP whether or not the tech is an A or a B? (I'm asking cuz I don't know the first thing about HVAC)

Or would you have to have a discussion with the installer in order to figure out if he's an A or a B? And if so, how would you have that discussion? What questions would you ask designed to find out if he's an A or a B?

Post Likes
    I would think that if the installer had very little experience then someone should have been supervising them, and unless it was their first day, they should know what proper looks like. I'm still debating if that big blue smear was a joint they took apart and didn't clean up or if that was their attempt to seal it and I'm leaning toward the latter

Post Likes
    Everybody is always quick to blame the installer when the home owner is quite often the problem. They are the ones that shopped around and asked the questions, checked the references, and saw the photos of the companyís previous installs when they did their homework. They should be well aware of what they are buying when they make the deal. Iím not saying this is true for all cases, or even a majority, but it is certainly the case in some.

So long as that install wonít harm anyone, and as long as the installs quality falls within the price point that the home owner paid for, then that might be the best install that they should expect to get. If the homeowners shop around and haggle the lowest bidder down even further, then they shouldnít be expecting to get a Porsche when they havenít even paid for a Ford Pinto.

Iíll be honest. Sometimes when Iím at the gas station I buy one of those $1.00 phone cables. I know it will never last as long or work quite as well as the $30.00 brand name cable, but I feel that the quality and function fall within the price point that I have paid and for that I feel like itís a fair deal. Maybe this install has some resemblance to this...

Maybe it was a million dollar home when it should have been a two million dollar home when done right.

Now if the customer paid for a Porsche and were delivered this then they sure have a right to complain, but thatís not always the case and itís hard to tell from the outside because we canít see the numbers. But it is pretty easy to judge from the outside based on what we can see...

I understand a company chooses to lower themselves to satisfy a customers low ball request when they agree to do work like this and that they should have more pride in their work, I get that. Does that make it their fault for doing ugly work? ... Actually, I guess it kinda does... What was my point again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Lol! That pipe looks like something violent and non-consensual happened to it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    Lol! That pipe looks like something violent and non-consensual happened to it.
    lol #ventPipeMe2
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Everybody is always quick to blame the installer when the home owner is quite often the problem. They are the ones that shopped around and asked the questions, checked the references, and saw the photos of the companyís previous installs when they did their homework. They should be well aware of what they are buying when they make the deal. Iím not saying this is true for all cases, or even a majority, but it is certainly the case in some.

So long as that install wonít harm anyone, and as long as the installs quality falls within the price point that the home owner paid for, then that might be the best install that they should expect to get. If the homeowners shop around and haggle the lowest bidder down even further, then they shouldnít be expecting to get a Porsche when they havenít even paid for a Ford Pinto.

Iíll be honest. Sometimes when Iím at the gas station I buy one of those $1.00 phone cables. I know it will never last as long or work quite as well as the $30.00 brand name cable, but I feel that the quality and function fall within the price point that I have paid and for that I feel like itís a fair deal. Maybe this install has some resemblance to this...

Maybe it was a million dollar home when it should have been a two million dollar home when done right.

Now if the customer paid for a Porsche and were delivered this then they sure have a right to complain, but thatís not always the case and itís hard to tell from the outside because we canít see the numbers. But it is pretty easy to judge from the outside based on what we can see...

I understand a company chooses to lower themselves to satisfy a customers low ball request when they agree to do work like this and that they should have more pride in their work, I get that. Does that make it their fault for doing ugly work? ... Actually, I guess it kinda does... What was my point again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is a huge homebuilder that my company has done work for, for many years. Fortunately, this individual doesnt work for us anymore. Of course, it doesnt make it any more fun to clean up his crap.

Post Likes
    is this an upflow furnace installed as a downflow?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    is this an upflow furnace installed as a downflow?
    These Trane furnaces are multi-positional.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234