Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes

    Bad Furnace Install?

    Hi gang,

    I had my first furnace installed by Home Depot and I'm not impressed.

    1. tech cut hot water tank pan. What if I have a leak? the pan is compromised.

    2. Furnace filter is getting stuck due to the interior screws in the filter housing.

    3. Bad air gap flow on top of furnace to ducting. I suggested to cut open the drywall in the closet to access the rear of furnace.

    4. 1/2" gas line to 1/4"? gas line. Is this OK?

    What are your thoughts or suggestions?

    Thanks,
    I will try to post some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,742
    Post Likes
    You need to contact corporate HD.

    We can't help from over here.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    6,922
    Post Likes
    Home Depot only provided the furnace. They subcontract the installation. Now you'll get to experience the "blame game" as HD and the contractor both say it's not their fault.

    Cutting the water heater pan has ruined it.
    Please provide a picture from 5' away. I'm curious about where those other PVC pipes originate.
    The gaps should have been sealed.
    That's not 1/4" copper tubing. It may be 1/2" tubing. The furnace should be checked with a combustion analyzer and the meter clocked to confirm correct gas delivery.
    The air filter should slide in easily as long as the blower isn't running. That should be addressed.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

    Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/


    There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

  4. Likes Lahrs liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubuna View Post
    Hi gang,

    I had my first furnace installed by Home Depot and I'm not impressed.

    1. tech cut hot water tank pan. What if I have a leak? the pan is compromised.

    2. Furnace filter is getting stuck due to the interior screws in the filter housing.

    3. Bad air gap flow on top of furnace to ducting. I suggested to cut open the drywall in the closet to access the rear of furnace.

    4. 1/2" gas line to 1/4"? gas line. Is this OK?

    What are your thoughts or suggestions?

    Thanks,
    I will try to post some pictures.
    This is first time responding to a post, hope I did it right. In my opinion home Depot is ultimately liable being they contracted the job out. Now that being said the company who installed it did some things that don't seem kosher. What I would do is see if there's a tag on or near your gas piping approving the installation. If there isn't call the city wherever you are at and see if permits where ever pulled, if not it's going to have to be inspected and brought up into compliance with the code official. Hopefully that helps

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Texas
    Posts
    19,821
    Post Likes
    I don't know if it's all throughout Texas, but in Houston, you can't use copper for the gas line. From what I've heard, the mercaptan or methanethiol, whatever it's called they add to the natural gas to get the smell, causes the copper to flake on the inside. I don't know if this is really true, just something I've heard for many years.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

    "Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

    "When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden



  7. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mixing oil and fire with a big spoon.
    Posts
    6,803
    Post Likes
    With the exception of the aforementioned issues, it is a fairly clean install. The water heater pan needs replaced. Code may not allow for a copper gas line...this varies by jurisdiction but I would confirm it. I would also confirm if your gas line need a shut off valve...I don’t see one in your pictures. Welcome to big box store purchasing!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Living rent free
    Posts
    6,361
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I don't know if it's all throughout Texas, but in Houston, you can't use copper for the gas line. From what I've heard, the mercaptan or methanethiol, whatever it's called they add to the natural gas to get the smell, causes the copper to flake on the inside. I don't know if this is really true, just something I've heard for many years.
    You can use copper on l.p./propane. But not on natural gas around here. Deteriorates from the inside. Especially where flared and such.

    Sent from The Lions Lair
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

    All those who wander..are not lost.

    Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

    The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    998
    Post Likes
    Plenty of copper used around here. I've seen 1.5 inch copper ran across a medical building using propress.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    10
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I don't know if it's all throughout Texas, but in Houston, you can't use copper for the gas line. From what I've heard, the mercaptan or methanethiol, whatever it's called they add to the natural gas to get the smell, causes the copper to flake on the inside. I don't know if this is really true, just something I've heard for many years.

    Cant use copper if there the gas contains an average of .3 grains Of hydrogen sulfide Per 100 cubic feet of gas. Also if the gas is corrosive to such material
    IFGC reference 403.4.3

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Living rent free
    Posts
    6,361
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Plenty of copper used around here. I've seen 1.5 inch copper ran across a medical building using propress.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I've seen half inch copper, at my aunt's house, practically break off with a slight touch. Something eats away at it, from the inside. It was about 15-20 years old install. I do know for sure it happens. And by far the only time I've seen it.

    Sent from The Lions Lair
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

    All those who wander..are not lost.

    Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

    The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,613
    Post Likes
    This what you get for trying to low ball the job via home depot who is not in the HVAC business and hires the lowest bidder sub contractor to do the work you would have been better off to actually pay a real legit HVAC company to do the job i fix crap work like this from them daily its amazing how much a home owner will do to get stuff done as cheap as he or she can but gets mad when the work is sub par
    Ya got what ya paid for sorry

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Home Depot only provided the furnace. They subcontract the installation. Now you'll get to experience the "blame game" as HD and the contractor both say it's not their fault.

    Cutting the water heater pan has ruined it.
    Please provide a picture from 5' away. I'm curious about where those other PVC pipes originate.
    The gaps should have been sealed.
    That's not 1/4" copper tubing. It may be 1/2" tubing. The furnace should be checked with a combustion analyzer and the meter clocked to confirm correct gas delivery.
    The air filter should slide in easily as long as the blower isn't running. That should be addressed.
    The big box store doesn't provide anything. They are simply a middle man in the bidding process, charging 10-15% for their services to the contractor. Therefor the customer pays for going through the big box store.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

  15. Likes lions_lair liked this post
  16. #13
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    40,313
    Post Likes
    There's an area of that filter not getting any air through it. The opening in the furnace is 14x18. At least they used a box on the floor. That lets a little bit more air to pass through the filter. I hate the new Trane furnaces. Love the electronics, do not like that small opening. At least one of our other brands have dropped their prices to where we won't be selling many American Standards unless the customer insists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •