+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chiller Refrigerant Charging Question

Post Likes

Chiller Refrigerant Charging Question

Hello and happy Sunday! Almost October!! I have a D&B 270 ton liquid cooled, EXV R134A Chiller. Model WCFX46T. Runs fine, clear sight glass at full load running. I've always topped off refrigerant by sight glass and approach calculation. 2 pass evap with current approach at 9 degrees. Tubes about ready to be brushed. Question; a young engineer says we need to charge by subcooling calculation and not "evaporator approach". Is this a true statement ?

Post Likes
    I belive that is a flooded machine so your superheat should be just about 0. What is you exv controlling to?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    i haven't seen any large chillers that are charged to subcooling except for some air cooled models. The larger the chiller, it becomes obvious that more subcooling costs more money.

Perhaps this one is charged to subcooling. I am not familiar with this model.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    i haven't seen any large chillers that are charged to subcooling except for some air cooled models. The larger the chiller, it becomes obvious that more subcooling costs more money.

Perhaps this one is charged to subcooling. I am not familiar with this model.
    What do you typically do?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatmaster View Post
    What do you typically do?
    If i am not pulling the charge, I go by Evap approach and Discharge Superheat.

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    If i am not pulling the charge, I go by Evap approach and Discharge Superheat.
    does that apply to all chillers?

Post Likes
    Thank you for the replies. I topped off the charge slowy while running almost full capacity. Using the sight glass wright before the TXV. Did an approach calculation and I'm at 7 degrees on a 2 pass evap. Running well now.

Post Likes
    How are you calculating your approach?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatmaster View Post
    does that apply to all chillers?
    Many but not all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JEF1980 View Post
    How are you calculating your approach?

If I remember correctly its exiting water temp from the evap minus evaporator saturation temp.

Post Likes
    Yes, In either design (DX or flooded heat exchanger), there is an approach temperature, which is the temperature
    difference between the refrigerant and exit water stream temperatures. The
    approach temperature is a measure of the heat transfer efficiency of the
    evaporator.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in