+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrier knockouts

Post Likes

Carrier knockouts

Why only carrier? Knockouts that you aren’t even using end up popping out while you’re trying to punch out the ones you do want.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Unibit a starter hole and use snips to cut it out.

Whats scary is that it looks like an installer tried that.... dont they have enough sense to get out a unibit... or heck.. you could even use a 1/4 inch bit... just something to get the tip of the snips into... and then cut a neat hole.

And yea... its a shame there is no consistency to those knockouts... and its not just carrier.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    I honestly just laughed out loud when I saw that. I can just hear the cursing and swearing coming from that situation. I’ve had small knockouts piss me off but on large ones like that I bought a 2 1/2 inch hole saw to avoid losing my $&@# trying to beat a hole through that casing.

Post Likes
    They are HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Knockout my a$$.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    The worst one I had was a knockout for a Trane air handler electric heat kit. It was punched so poorly that all it was good for was a line for my sawzall to follow.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    knockouts in disconnects are a pain !!

Your trying to pull the metal disc , when suddenly the metal ring wants to come too making the hole too big ! Now you have to get reducers

or the disc comes out leaving that little metal tit

Post Likes
    It is a function of the punches being worn out.

Post Likes
    I know the feeling. Like said, unibit and tin snips. LOL

Post Likes
    Trane used to be so aggressive with punching, all the concentric rings would pop out with little force, then they went to opposite end spectrum, concentrics were just a suggestion embossed into the metal.

that furnace looks like it may have some blue stains from the sheet metal fighting you.

last week found a pile of reducer rings for 1/2 to 3/4", like what you need when discos don't break out clean. Asked a coworker if he needed any, yes, yes , please.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Carrier knockouts - don't.

That is my experience with Carrier knockouts. I now carry a hole saw to solve this problem. And I make sure to create all the holes I need for the entire installation while the unit is at the truck. Not in the attic or the mechanical room where space is limited.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    I'm sure they suck but why would you bang in the middle and not a edge?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    knockouts in disconnects are a pain !!

Your trying to pull the metal disc , when suddenly the metal ring wants to come too making the hole too big ! Now you have to get reducers

or the disc comes out leaving that little metal tit
    When I do 1/2" knockouts, I have the reducers at the ready 'cause I know what to expect.

But as time go by, I actually seem to be getting better at getting that disk out without further damage.

It is actually good to hear that you other guys have had similar issues to what I have experienced. I don't feel so dumb now.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in