Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

advice needed on residential geothermal failure

Hey all. I'm looking for advice or referrals about my geothermal system.

I have pics of the setup, loop install and original itemized contractor quote/order. They are at imgur.com/a/vSCAZ1D

This system was purchased by the previous owner of our home (we bought it last year). Initially the system worked fine, but during the hottest months of summer the Trane T2GN would suddenly turn off and start flashing the HW HI LIMIT status LED.

If I toggled the circuit powering the unit at the breaker box it would come back on operational again but still flashing HW HI LIMIT.

Under the blower unit (TGCX) the condensate drain pipe also started dripping on my floor (hence the catch pan in my photo). Eventually the unit AND both (it's a two zone system) thermostats started shutting off. I had a tech out and he found there was a float switch on the EZ trap that was clogging up due to bacteria growth. He scrubbed the trap and the system was operational again for a while, but then reverted back to the HW HI LIMIT shutoff behavior after a time.

I had another tech from the same company (the original installer) return, and they took pressure/temperature gauge readings. They said the unit is running over spec and they weren't sure why. They also possibly changed something at this time because the unit started steady flashing green LED but no longer flashing HW HI LIMIT LED.

Two weeks later and now the blower system will spin fans but the T2GN unit doesn't seem operational at all (no longer making any vibration or audible hum). It does still flash the green status LED

The original installer has a theory which I will share in a follow up post but I would love to hear other advice, theories, or referrals to local contractors around the Northwest Arkansas region before next steps.

Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eurekasprings View Post
    Hey all. I'm looking for advice or referrals about my geothermal system.

I have pics of the setup, loop install and original itemized contractor quote/order. They are at imgur.com/a/vSCAZ1D

This system was purchased by the previous owner of our home (we bought it last year). Initially the system worked fine, but during the hottest months of summer the Trane T2GN would suddenly turn off and start flashing the HW HI LIMIT status LED.

If I toggled the circuit powering the unit at the breaker box it would come back on operational again but still flashing HW HI LIMIT.

Under the blower unit (TGCX) the condensate drain pipe also started dripping on my floor (hence the catch pan in my photo). Eventually the unit AND both (it's a two zone system) thermostats started shutting off. I had a tech out and he found there was a float switch on the EZ trap that was clogging up due to bacteria growth. He scrubbed the trap and the system was operational again for a while, but then reverted back to the HW HI LIMIT shutoff behavior after a time.

I had another tech from the same company (the original installer) return, and they took pressure/temperature gauge readings.
    They said the unit is running over spec and they weren't sure why.
    They also possibly changed something at this time because the unit started steady flashing green LED
    but no longer flashing HW HI LIMIT LED.

Two weeks later and now the blower system will spin fans but
    the T2GN unit doesn't seem operational at all (no longer making any vibration or audible hum).
    It does still flash the green status LED

The original installer has a theory which I will share in a follow up post but
    I would love to hear other advice, theories, or referrals to local contractors
    around the Northwest Arkansas region before next steps.

Thanks in advance!
    What is the water flow rate from the ground source?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    As dan said whats the flow rate.

What is the water quality like?

Need to check the water in and water out temp make sure the hx is not fouled.

Im a little skeptical that it was going out on high head then the tech did something then the fault went away. I hope the something he did wasnt bypass the hp switch.

Might be able to go online and google the brand geothermal you have and find authorized dealers in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    As dan said what’s the flow rate.

What is the water quality like?

Need to check the water in and water out temp make sure the hx is not fouled.

I’m a little skeptical that it was going out on high head then the tech did something then the fault went away. I hope the something he did wasn’t bypass the hp switch.

Might be able to go online and google the brand geothermal you have and find authorized dealers in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X-2

Post Likes
    It would seem the last tech changed which wire the drain safety switch would control.

Suck out the drain with a wet/shop vac and see if it turns back on. If this is a continuing issue, you may want to look at installing a new drain line and or condensate pump. Drain lines should be cleaned annually.

As for the previous issues, more data is needed:

full model number of equipment

what model of zoning equipment

temperatures of inlet and outlet water

pressures of inlet and outlet water
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    As for the previous issues, more data is needed:

full model number of equipment

what model of zoning equipment

temperatures of inlet and outlet water

pressures of inlet and outlet water

I uploaded an imgur album with pics of the equipment labels with model numbers, but I don't have forum rep yet to make this a clickable link so you'd have to copy into browser address bar: imgur.com/a/vSCAZ1D

They are:

Trane T2GN049NNR14CNE
    Trane TGCXCR048AMACXX
    Trane TZONE940AC52ZAA
    Trane XV95
    Geolink FC2-GL

Notes from tech:

COMPRESSOR OVERHEATING
    AND SHUTTING DOWN
    HEAD PRESSURE VERY HIGH
    480-500
    CHECKED WATER PRESSURE
    AND ITS OK
    WATER TEMP IS AT 100
    DEGREES INPUT AND 109
    OUTPUT
    LINES GOING TO WELLS ARE
    HOT TO THE TOUCH
    FOUND LOCATION OF WELLS
    IN THE YARD AND I DONT SEE
    ANY EXPOSED LINES

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    What is the water flow rate from the ground source?

Technician reported flow rate at 14gpm

Post Likes
    I uploaded an imgur album with pics of the equipment labels with model numbers, but I don't have forum rep yet to make this a clickable link so you'd have to copy into browser address bar: imgur.com/a/vSCAZ1D

They are:

Trane T2GN049NNR14CNE
    Trane TGCXCR048AMACXX
    Trane TZONE940AC52ZAA
    Trane XV95
    Geolink FC2-GL

Notes from tech:

COMPRESSOR OVERHEATING AND SHUTTING DOWN
    HEAD PRESSURE VERY HIGH 480-500

CHECKED WATER PRESSURE AND ITS OK

WATER TEMP IS AT 100 DEGREES INPUT AND 109 OUTPUT
    LINES GOING TO WELLS ARE HOT TO THE TOUCH

FOUND LOCATION OF WELLS IN THE YARD AND I DONT SEE ANY EXPOSED LINES
    How does one get 100'F out of a 400 foot deep Ground Well..?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    How does one get 100'F out of a 400 foot deep Ground Well..?
    Sounds like long run times with too short off time for loop to cool down or poor ground contact with loop. Also check glycol level.

Post Likes
    Is this open or closed loop???

If closed loop... sounds like the loop is too small...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Is this open or closed loop???

If closed loop... sounds like the loop is too small...
    I hope its a closed loop, its a copper coax coil.

Post Likes
    Technician reported flow rate at 14gpm
    How did the tech determine that flow rate?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    How did the tech determine that flow rate?
    Unknown. I think derived from pressure drop because I didn't see a flow meter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast