Post Likes

vibration noise from newly installed Carrier 24vna9 systems

I recently had 2 systems entirely replaced (compressor, gas furnace, evap, but reused the existing R22 line set). One is a 3 ton, the other a 2 ton. The compressors are outside the hall bathroom and guest bedroom wall and an annoying hum/vibration noise is heard in both areas with the AC running. The line set enters the bottom of the outside wall and goes up into the attic where the furnace/evap are located. Line set length is probably 40 feet. After trying to caulk where the lines enter the wall and wrapping a little more insulation around the suction line the sound is still there. The installing company has ordered something for the suction lines. I searched around and found something called a "mass damper" or something used with the "Green Speed" models?Name:  20190927_102837.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  162.6 KBName:  20190927_102851.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  143.6 KB Some comments lead me to believe it "may" help in most cases. Anyone have a guess as to the success of these in suppressing noise, or what to do if they don't help? Carrier advertised 55db for the Infinity models and I expected them to be super quiet. See pictures of the compressors and line set entering wall.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dougsac164 View Post
    I recently had 2 systems entirely replaced (compressor, gas furnace, evap, but reused the existing R22 line set). One is a 3 ton, the other a 2 ton. The compressors are outside the hall bathroom and guest bedroom wall and an annoying hum/vibration noise is heard in both areas with the AC running. The line set enters the bottom of the outside wall and goes up into the attic where the furnace/evap are located. Line set length is probably 40 feet. After trying to caulk where the lines enter the wall and wrapping a little more insulation around the suction line the sound is still there. The installing company has ordered something for the suction lines. I searched around and found something called a "mass damper" or something used with the "Green Speed" models?Name:  20190927_102837.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  162.6 KBName:  20190927_102851.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  143.6 KB Some comments lead me to believe it "may" help in most cases. Anyone have a guess as to the success of these in suppressing noise, or what to do if they don't help? Carrier advertised 55db for the Infinity models and I expected them to be super quiet. See pictures of the compressors and line set entering wall.
    I would look at the installation instructions for the unit's piping I do not believe it is piped properly

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    The units need to be installed on a solid base. From your description the sound is more likely the lineset touching a structural member of the house.

If you are talking about the vapor line muffler that the 20 SEER GreenSpeed unit uses, it will not help with an air conditioner. It is installed in the vapor line for a specific reason.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    The units need to be installed on a solid base. From your description the sound is more likely the lineset touching a structural member of the house.

If you are talking about the vapor line muffler that the 20 SEER GreenSpeed unit uses, it will not help with an air conditioner. It is installed in the vapor line for a specific reason.
    I think there should be 2 elbows in the
    suction line which may stop most of the noise

Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    It appears that the old liquid lines are smaller than the ones on the unit. There may be a capacity and efficiency loss by using smaller tubing. You should check with the manufacturer to learn if those pipe sizes are approved.
    You may find that installing new tubing on the outside of the wall will resolve the hum and performance issues. The pipes can be covered with linehide.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I think there should be 2 elbows in the
    suction line which may stop most of the noise

Relating to the 2 elbows, in searching I found that it was recommended to have an inverted "U" in the suction line. Also, there was mention of a braided stainless steel muffler as a possible solution. Running the line set outside of the house would only be as a last resort and I am not sure the HOA would approve of that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    It appears that the old liquid lines are smaller than the ones on the unit. There may be a capacity and efficiency loss by using smaller tubing. You should check with the manufacturer to learn if those pipe sizes are approved.
    You may find that installing new tubing on the outside of the wall will resolve the hum and performance issues. The pipes can be covered with linehide.
    Mass Dampers were installed and at the time (8:30AM when outside temp was around 70+ degrees) appeared to work, but later in the day when temps climbed to 90+ degrees the hum was back -- perhaps not quite as loud, but pretty annoying still. I checked the installation manual which states:

IMPORTANT: Liquid –line size is 3/8-in OD for all 24vna9 applications.

As near as I can tell, the liquid line coming out of the condenser is 3/8 OD then soldered into the existing liquid line of 5/16?”
    The installation manual recommends minimum of 5/8" for vapor line.Name:  20191002_154301.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  102.4 KBName:  20191002_154311.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  121.8 KB

I can’t tell what the vapor line diameter is without removing insulation.

This also leads to a concern with the warranty, would Carrier warrant a failure in this situation?

Post Likes
    Can you show pictures of the mass dampeners?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Can you show pictures of the mass dampeners?
    You can sort of see them in the pictures I posted of the liquid line sizes. They are 14"? long and are tie wrapped to the suction line -- supposedly can be mounted inside the condenser or outside as the case in my install. I believe they are part number 328209-751 if you want to see the actual part.

Post Likes
    FYI, for whoever is interested. The liquid lines were replaced with 3/8" -- not much help. Tore out the sheet rock covering the line set and according to the Carrier tech rep he requested all the foam spray be removed, and instead caulked coming through the outside wall the the liquid line wrapped with the standard suction line insulation. So, the line sets are now basically free in the wall (I guess except in the attic where they make a turn to go across to the evaporator). Helped a little. I ripped some 2x4's to 2 inches and basically made the wall a 6" wall,replaced the R13 with R19, covered the insulation with TMS Mass Loaded Vinyl (a sound deadening material) and put half-inch sheet rock over the top and refinished the surface. Is the noise less -- yes, but not completely gone. IMHO the scroll compressors either have a design defect or an implementation defect. I was recently at a cabin that used a scroll compressor heat pump and it had a substantial vibration at the air handler.

Post Likes
    I wouldn’t say design defect.

Mechanical things vibrate and make noise.