+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil furnace to HP in desolate Burns, OR.

Post Likes

Oil furnace to HP in desolate Burns, OR.

As far as the town of Burns, OR goes, I would put it on the wall of shame, lol. Travelled out there this week to get this job completed.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    As far as the town of Burns, OR goes, I would put it on the wall of shame, lol. Travelled out there this week to get this job completed.

This oil furnace was real old. Serial number says it was 1994.

Turned out pretty clean. Wasnt as tight as the picture makes it look.

Heat pump is 12" off wall. Another deceiving pic.

Supply static

Return static

3. Likes IceWhiteice liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Nice installation, I’m a fan of oil to Heatpump retrofits. Great job

Just a tip your fairly close on your esp, I would search for closed registers or dampers or faulted or fouled ducting. Not sure if blower is an ECM model nor filter merv rating.

Cheers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johntheheatwizr View Post
    Nice installation, I’m a fan of oil to Heatpump retrofits. Great job

Just a tip your fairly close on your esp, I would search for closed registers or dampers or faulted or fouled ducting. Not sure if blower is an ECM model nor filter merv rating.

Cheers
    Duct is all rigid and in good shape. I sealed everything up good which is probably why static is elevated. Im happy with .47 considering. My salesman dont do pre-install statics (Im working on that) so I get scared on some of these. That being said they wouldnt have been able to do it anyway as the old motor was seized. I did freak out initially when my original return static was .92, but that was due to the old plugged filter that resided inside the old return, hidden of course. Yanked it out and had an ear to ear grin because I thought I would be doing some time-consuming duct mods.

6. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Looks good to me. Rid of the ductboard and I'm a media filter fan.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Looks good to me. Rid of the ductboard and I'm a media filter fan.
    Ya. We only use 1" filters in our cheap new construction homes.

Post Likes
    That looks great, in Oregon do you not need gas/oil as a backup heat source?

Post Likes
    That looks nice. I consider the job a big improvement o Ed what was there. Good catch finding the other air filter.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Great looking install ! It Must be nerve racking having someone else do the sales work sometimes given the variations of things installers know to look for etc. Good work man.

Post Likes
    nice job why was the old unit replaced out my way oil is very common how common are oil units out your way

Post Likes
    What's with the open Tee on overflow drain tap? SS1??
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    What's with the open Tee on overflow drain tap? SS1??
    Old install, someone resurrected . That is an SS2. And it isn't open, has the little float cap in there breaking the low voltage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    nice job why was the old unit replaced out my way oil is very common how common are oil units out your way
    Oil units are probably 5% of systems over here, and fading even further. Due to lowering carbon footprints and energy efficiency rebates, they will soon be all gone over here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcarswell View Post
    Great looking install ! It Must be nerve racking having someone else do the sales work sometimes given the variations of things installers know to look for etc. Good work man.
    Old install. I do all my own sales now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tmyshrall91 View Post
    That looks great, in Oregon do you not need gas/oil as a backup heat source?
    Any of the above will work. I set them up per energystar recommendations. Backup heat strips locked out at 35 degrees with outdoor sensor.

Post Likes
    Looks good

Are you measuring the return static, before (return side) or after(coil side) the air filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Looks good

Are you measuring the return static, before (return side) or after(coil side) the air filter?

I usually get readings on both sides if I can. Depends on the piece of equipment and layout. I mean, we are all experienced enough to know if we are good before the filter, if the after location isn't available.

Post Likes
    That's not true. You could have a .01" - .5" or greater pressure drop across a filter depending on ductwork, airflow, etc..

Measuring before the filter would do no good. Proper TESP for a gas furnace would be after the filter(blower side) and before the coil.

An AHU utililizing an after market air filter requires a reading after the filter and before the heat strips for proper TESP

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    That's not true. You could have a .01" - .5" or greater pressure drop across a filter depending on ductwork, airflow, etc..

Measuring before the filter would do no good. Proper TESP for a gas furnace would be after the filter(blower side) and before the coil.

An AHU utililizing an after market air filter requires a reading after the filter and before the heat strips for proper TESP

Some of those F##kers, you just cannot get to, that is what I'm saying. Like I said, 99.9% of the time I get there. On this project, it was a filter grill so all good.

My earlier statement can be interpreted somewhat. I think we all know what an undersized filter looks like. Sometimes it just isn't in the cards to make it bigger. Sometimes the customer is cheap. Sometimes, my friend, you move on.

Post Likes
    Oh i get it, believe me.

I document all my readings on startup and use a label maker.

I label what speed i checked with clean filter.

Before/after filter PD
    TESP
    Before/after coil PD

That way in the future, they can put the speed to what i tested with and with a clean filter, check against the PD i labeled and see if there is a issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in