Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    On floor joist end cuts do not make a square cut on the bottom end of the joist. Make a radius cut to prevent splitting of the joist.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    you could add "rat runs", planks to restaple the wire to, but it would be less trouble to just pull wires through joists.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Anybody here old enough to remember using a Brace and Bits to drill? The Code then was stapling to the bottom of the joist was okay in the Boxed run, which was above the AC Duct. Also you could run on the side of a center beam, all else was drilled, and plated. That was over Forty years ago!
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    I'm guessing Snapperhead already has it covered, but I wanted to mention how good a spade bit works in an impact driver. Especially Romex or thermostat wire sized holes. This is the kind I use. The screw bit sucks the thing in and then the spades take over and chew right through the wood like it's nothing.....

Last edited by ammoniadog; 10-20-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    I had a hole hog when I first started. Damn fine machine. Also the bits were self starting and needed little pressure to drill. The two together was my go to tool.
    I have a fostner bit set I use for woodworking and they never drilled as well as the Milwaukee.

I wouldn't notch the joists if not necessary. It's easy to look shabby and some inspectors might think you've compromised the joist. I had a plumber cut vent lines in a outside bearing wall. The studs were reduced from 3 1/2" to about 1". I had to double stud sideways.
    Code here I believe is a nail plate is required when a wire is run thru a stud but code reading has been awhile.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    We all know what is right. Close this thread....sheesh.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    We all know what is right. Close this thread....sheesh.
    If we all knew what was right, this thread wouldn't have been posted.
    What is the nature of your criticism?

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

8. Likes chong1238 liked this post
    Post Likes
    You are not allowed to cross beam per the NEC... unless the cable assemblies are 6/2 or 8/3 or larger. You must drill holes or use running boards on smaller wires.

These things punch holes really quickly:

Post Likes
    Around Philadelphia the wires cannot be suspended - say; from joist to joist - they have to be attached to a solid surface. So you can nail up a 1 by 6 spanning across off the joists and staple all the wires to that.

Even if it's not code it looks nicer than wires running through the air spaces between the joists.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Friend of mine is flipping a house out in the country where you typically do what the hell you want and nobody cares

I gotta run a few wires from panel ... down in basement for a sump pump , and recs , and more lighting

I see some wires are drilled and run through the joists , and others are merely stapled to the bottoms of joists

So which is it .... can I just staple them ?

There will be a home inspector im sure because its a 300,000 dollar sale

I have a feeling he's gonna make us remove the stapled wiring and drill holes into joists although those wires were already there

Currently there is an electric water heater , well pump , pressure tank , and indoor unit down there

7 foot high , concrete block walls , concrete floor

You look up and theres water pipes clamped to bottom , and flex, and linesets too
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    If I had to notch the bottom of floor joists I'd use a 1" rabbeting bit in a router. Run a string line to keep them all in line.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    On floor joist end cuts do not make a square cut on the bottom end of the joist. Make a radius cut to prevent splitting of the joist.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    If I had to notch the bottom of floor joists I'd use a 1" rabbeting bit in a router. Run a string line to keep them all in line.

PHM
    ------
    A hole in the middle won't weaken the joist. A 1" notch in the bottom turns a 2x8 into a 2x7. Inspectors don't like loosing size on dimensional lumber. Of course if they aren't around....
    One shop I worked for had a no hole policy as far as joists or rafters went. Not that the hole might compromise the lumber. It was more about how to explain it to a HO that thought they were engineers.
    About holes. I worked some for a home builder. He didn't want a hole drilled straight thru. He insisted a hole being drilled to stop before it went all the way, go to the other side and make a clean hole realizing it wasn't always possible.
    I have always done this when building cabinets etc. but not construction. I liked the result even though it was hidden so I tried to do the same when possible. He built nice homes.

Post Likes
    My municipality will not allow stapled under joists.

The reason is it would prevent someone from drywall the ceiling

Post Likes
    And here you can’t attach Drywall directly to floor joists. You have to use stringers Installed across the joist. Also you can’t install studs directly to a concrete basement wall, below grade, unless it is pressure treated. Also you can’t take the insulation wrap down, without replacing it to current codes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast