+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool available for finding leak inside a wall?

Post Likes
    I will definitely keep you guys informed. I'm lucky this guy's place is only 1/2-mile from mine, so it's convenient to make a few trips while I'm collating all the data.

I've got the ultrasonic (and will bring more nitro) but I think I'll wait until the FLIR comes in before going back with help on Monday and then hit it hard.

I've got a jug full of reclaimed Freon, too... But I wouldn't think of using that....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    ...I've got a jug full of reclaimed Freon, too... But I wouldn't think of using that....
    If there is a lot of oil in it, it shouldn’t take too long!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

3. Likes MAC702 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    ... then try Jay's idea.....oh crap, I used the wrong username too!
    jayguy1 said that. Totally different person.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Co2 in a liquid form may show up with camera, as long as the sheetrock takes the pressure.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

6. Likes MAC702 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    it would also freeze the pipe, which could help you trace it though the walls with a FLIR.

airgas, and other suppliers have CO2 bottles with dip tubes, but you have to specify you want one with the tube.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    The most likely leak points I would think would be the turns, and anywhere it passes a moulding, or penetrates a floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have had them in the middle of the wall, where the siding guy drove a long nail through it. With the patching of sheetrock and leak repair...
    Running a new lineset "may" be cost effective.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    IR camera (the FLIR)...
    And some 'juice' that is legal to vent...

You will find it in a jiffy...

Then the issue will be finding someone to repair the sheetrock and re-paint...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

10. Likes MAC702 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well, I found it! In a corner between the floors where it went from horizontally running along a joist to go vertical again up another wall to the attic. It's also at an elbow, AND it's a 7/8 coming from the attic and 3/4 leaving the elbow to go horizontal to the garage ceiling. The repair access is through a big hole I cut in a downstairs bedroom closet. The other holes to patch are in the ceiling of the laundry room next to this closet, and the ceiling of the garage on the other side of the laundry room.

The ultrasonic detector didn't help. The FLIR didn't help, and actually was fortunately misleading. I THOUGHT it was seeing it in the vicinity of a ceiling-mounted camera in the garage along the expected pipe path. So that was where I cut the first hole. Then I went sideways toward where i knew it went vertical to go to the attic. From the laundry room, I could hear the leak and knew I'd find it from the bedroom closet.

Without the FLIR misleading me, I'd have probably started at the vertical on the garage wall, and maybe started the garage ceiling on the other side of that camera. I'd have one or two more patches when I'm done.

I had to come back to the shop to grab my good Stay-Clean flux cleaner and I'm on the way back to finish the repair. Thought I'd update you while I was at it. I'll see if I can attach the pics later.

12. Likes Achso017, jbhenergy, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    On the outside view, you knew it was taking a convoluted path to get from that machine and then it entered the attic just to the right of the bathroom window upstairs.

The garage just inside is where we hoped to find it, but it was just the beginning of the search, two ceilings later, we found it.

I didn't even add more solder to the repair. Just fluxed it well with both Stay-Clean liquid and Stay-Silv paste fluxes. Then I heated it with the standard tip and watched the existing solder flow pretty well.

Thanks for the brainstorming, fellas.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    was this like plumbing solder? or was it like 15% brazing rod? And if it was like plumbing solder will it hold up to R-410a pressures?

Post Likes
    Ultrasonic cannot hear through walls. A wall will block the sound. I use ultrasound for air leaks (40khz) at my current job. A simple clipboard will shield the sound. I recently cut 4 holes in a ceiling to track down a leak between floors in one of our buildings. The ultrasound pointed me in the right direction until the air leak was found. My boss was impressed I found the leak. The carpenter however was not.

16. Likes MAC702 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    was this like plumbing solder? or was it like 15% brazing rod? And if it was like plumbing solder will it hold up to R-410a pressures?
    Sorry I missed this reply. While I did not add any additional solder, it looked and flowed like silver solder of some type. I agree the pic almost looks like a botched tin solder job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in