+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Underground Pipe; Ductile Iron Pipe vs K Copper Pipe

Post Likes

Underground Pipe; Ductile Iron Pipe vs K Copper Pipe

Which is more preferred in the 4" to 8" range? Total cost, longevity, etc. How about it aces? Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Poly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You doing a water line ?

Post Likes
    We do not chase plumbing work...

However what I see with replacement of water lines (small)...
    Is PEX.

Not sure if that is what you are asking about...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I would use PVC type or FRP underground. With iron type you have to worry about cathodic protection. Coatings are OK unless you have a holiday (flaw) in the coating and then the pipe will deteriorate rapidly at that point.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I would use PVC type or FRP underground. With iron type you have to worry about cathodic protection. Coatings are OK unless you have a holiday (flaw) in the coating and then the pipe will deteriorate rapidly at that point.
    I had to repair a leak on a 6" underground cast iron water main.
    Seems a limestone had been up against it all those years and corroded a hole in it. By the time we got the water off it was a 30' geyser. Bought a stainless band that goes around the pipe and gets bolted together.

Post Likes
    Yeah VTP99. Once a cell action gets started the result isn't pretty. Several years ago I designed a tower water system that had buried 24" diameter schedule 40 steel pipe. The design included a state of the art cathodic protection system that failed the test for adequate protection. Ironically after a lot of hair pulling trying to figure out why the contractor called and said the wire securing the ID tag for the isolation flange where the pipe entered the ground was wrapped around both sides of the flange. That of course defeated the protection. He removed the tag and all was good.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in