Post Likes

Keep Your Fingers Off My Damper

I've been a TAB contractor near Cleveland Ohio for over thirty years. Recently I have been asked to give ideas on how to keep workers from adjusting dampers near their work station. This project is an assembly line type of facility which has drum louvers throughout the plant at about 10' above the floor. The dampers are opposed blade in the face of the louvers. so all they have to do is stand on the nearest bucket and its easy access to disrupt the balance. once one person does it it's not very long before the whole system is totally out of wack again. The owner has suggested screws or tack welds but I'm thinking there has to be a better way. The bad thing about drum louvers is it's not just the dampers they also move up and down along with deflection blades for side to side. The plant has hundreds of these and at this point I don't think they are going to consider changing diffuser styles. They are interested in modifying what they have to make it work. Wondering if maybe any of you guys might have any useful suggestions.KEE

Post Likes
    Just mark where they are with a sharpie. Screw them in place.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Those drum diffusers ( we used to call them punka diffusers ) probably have six or so vanes to spread the air horizontally . Also , the airflow can change drastically if the face damper is moved just a little bit . That said , I think I would tack weld the drum itself so it couldn't be moved vertically , I would tack weld each vane and I would tack weld the damper . Either that or fire the 1st couple of people that are caught messing with them . Give a $500 bonus to any employee that rats out the one/ones messing with them .

Post Likes
    Put up a sign that says "Adjusting dampers on the diffusers without being instructed to do so by management will result in immediate termination". Fire one or two for screwing with them and the adjustments will stop.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Electrify them with 10000 volts and warning signs......

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

6. Likes icy78 liked this post
    Post Likes
    How about if you cant follow a simple request you can find somewhere else to work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    How about this.

The reason that the dampers are being adjusted by the employees is because air movement is causing them discomfort.
    So is the airflow directed right at the culprit employees? Is the supplier temperature too cold? Draft on a person standing at a machine all day maybe really bothering.
    I think I would go that route first and that may take care of people climbing up and adjusting dampers. AND happier, more productive employees.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You obviously spent more time thinking about this than we did . Your point makes much more sense but we wanted to see heads roll.....lol.

10. Likes icy78 liked this post